Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 6 (1,048 Views)
Accepted Solution

75x940D horizontal lines on screen during HDR titles

I've read here and on AVS that several 940D owners are having the same problem as me. Thin, distracting horizontal lines all over the picture in various scenes when playing back 4k titles with HDR. I've read that an upcoming firmware update may resolve this issue but I'm looking for any additional info that might be out there. Sony techs, please don't waste my time with the canned response asking me to unplug or factory reset or change inputs. I'm fairly tech savvy and have performed all of those steps several times. I've been through 2 different 4k blu ray players, the Samsung K8500 and now the Oppo 203, as well as two different manufacturers hdmi 2.0a cables, yet this anomaly continues to occur during HDR playback in all 20 of the 4k HDR blu ray discs that I own. My case ID # is 329283. Any input from experienced owners or knowledgeable Sony staff is appreciated. I love this tv, bought it in November, and even though it has had some of the other issues I've read about (such as light blooming in completely black backgrounds and a touch of smearing/trailing with dark objects) I was able to nearly eliminate those by experimenting with different settings based on posts in forums such as this one. However, these horizontal bars are a huge distraction and no matter what I try, they won't go away. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 6 (1,042 Views)

Re: 75x940D horizontal lines on screen during HDR titles

I've noticed something that may be similar but it wasn't during 4K HDR program. It was during a 1080pm movie through Netflix and any of the Smart TV movie apps.

I can remedy it if I stop the movie and hit play again. So I'm not sure if this is a steaming issue or what.

I have taken photos of the line(s).
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 6 (1,023 Views)

It's currently only during HDR blu ray playback. I have no internet service capable of streaming hi def or 4k video where I live but we are getting fiber in my area soon. The lines don't occur with regular blu ray or my DIRECTV service.
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 6 (928 Views)

Any word on whether or not the firmware update from April 18 resolves this issue?
Message 5 of 6 (875 Views)

Hi Anakin4325,

Welcome to the SONY Community!

Have you tried updating the latest firmware of the TV? If not yet, we recommend performing a software update that might fix the issue. To update the software:

• Download updates through the internet.

Follow these steps if the update is available for download:

1. The TV screen displays the contents (new features, bug fixes, etc.) of the update and asks you to proceed with the download.

2. Select Upgrade Now to continue.

Note: You can use your TV normally while it's downloading an update.

Downloading and installing updates are two different processes.

•  To install the software update.

After the download is complete, a message displays on your TV screen asking if you want to install the update.

Select OK to start the installation. Alternatively, you can select Cancel, and install it later.

IMPORTANT: The installation process usually takes about 30 minutes. An update icon will appear on your TV screen during this time.

Update screen

WARNING! There is a risk of hardware damage. During the installation of the update, don't press any buttons, power off the TV, or disconnect it from the AC power outlet. Loss of power during the installation of the firmware update may cause the TV to become unresponsive or require repair.

As soon as the installation completes, you can use your TV normally again.

•  

Updating the software using a USB flash drive.

If your TV doesn't have internet access or you wish to do the update manually, you can download the update to a USB flash drive and then install it on your TV. Go to Drivers and Software .

Regards,

~Erin

If my post answers your question, please click the button below "Accept as Solution".

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 6 (816 Views)

After applying the firmware update from April 18 via USB flash drive, I can report that the horizontal line defect is still present but greatly improved during HDR playback. The lines are not nearly as prevalent or distracting as they were before the update. I am hopeful that future updates will continue to improve on this issue.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook