4K Ultra HD TV

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9 (824 Views)

900e Internet Issues

Hi, 

I purchased a 900e 10 days ago and the internet speed is driving me nuts.

I have a 100mbps connection that is connected to the tv via ethernet. I have a fibre connection to the house that goes through a Linksys WRT1900ACS router then to a dumb switch which feeds my consoles, Chromecast Ultra and the TV.

A Speedtest on my pc that's attached to the router by ethernet is normally 90-95mbps. My Xbox's network test shows about 70Mbps. My PS4 hows 10-15 on a good day and TV is worse than the PS4. Is Sony just ****** with internet?

If I use the internal Android TV Netflix app it takes a good 10 minutes to get to 4k, if it makes it at all. Watching a 1080p program last night it was stuck at 720. Shows mostly start off at 240p for a good couple of minutes before slowly getting up to 720/1080 then 2160 after 10 minutes or so.

If I use the internal Chromecast it is exactly the same but if I use an external Chromecast Ultra, with is also using ethernet through the same setup, I get 4k within a few seconds.

If I disconnect the ethernet and run on Wifi everything gets worse still and the router is about 10 feet from the TV.

Am I screwed or am I missing something? 

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 9 (787 Views)

Re: 900e Internet Issues

I recently got Verizon to send out a newer generation router and upped my data plan to 75/75.  After I hooked up the new router, I tried the PS4 network speed test and got terrible results as well.  I went back into my office and used the PC there to run Verizon's speed test which came out at 78/74.  I really don't know what the actual rate the PS4 is capable of achieving, but I doubt it is as bad as the test said it was.

Expert
Message 3 of 9 (782 Views)

[ Edited ]

If your service has ipv6, some things may use that and some ipv4.  I'm not sure how you would tell or if there are speed differences between them.   I haven't noticed any problems with internet streaming services on my *900e but I believe I can see an improvement when playing this downloaded file from my plex server if I use wifi instead of a wired connection.  The 100M ethernet may be a restriction, but not for most internet services.

htt***me***.org/s***avia-uhd***k-demo/

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 9 (737 Views)

thanks for your reply.

My ISP doesn't do ipv6. In Australia, we are pretty much behind most of the world. It wasn't supposed to be this way but Politicians ****** the world over.

Still, I haven't found a solution so will stick with the Chromecast Ultra which works well. I was hoping to just use the remote though and with a $3k smart tv, it is disappointing. Actually extremely disappointing. In November when the Xbox One X arrives I will be able to use a smart remote with it. Just hoping some of the current apps get upgraded to 4k.

I'm still hoping there is a solution as I am having trouble believing that a product from a leading provider could be this bad. Especially as internet speed is kind of important with a 4k smart TV.

If there isn't this will be the last Sony product I buy. 

Expert
Message 5 of 9 (734 Views)

Have you tried swapping the cables with the devices that are faster?    I don't know of any way to diagnose the problem (and was looking for a speed test app myself to test the difference between wifi and wired with no luck so far) but it's not a generic issue with the *900e models or sony products.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 9 (732 Views)

Actually no and I'm kicking myself a bit for not thinking of that. I have tried everything else. I will swap over the ethernet cables between my Chromecast Ultra and the TV when I get home and report back.

thanks

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 9 (552 Views)

Have you tried re-booting the TV. Turn TV off and disconnect it. If you are on a power strip, connect it to the wall. My Smart tV feature gets sluggish and slow in connecting, and PQ is bad. Every few days, I have to reboot the TV to clear up the problem. The problem is worst with the Amazon app. Something seems to be eating up RAM and not releasing it. Sony does not seem to take responsibility for that issue. They say no one else has reported that problem. However, if I view Amazon using my blue ray player, it works just fine on 1080P. My player does not have 4K capabilites.
Expert
Message 8 of 9 (538 Views)

You can do the restart with the remote.  You are supposed to be able to do it by holding the power buttton down for several seconds but I have trouble getting the timing right.   But going to settings/about/restart always works.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 9 (511 Views)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have tried all of your suggestions without success. I contacted Sony and they came back with a few things to try which all failed to help. Am now waiting for them to get back to me.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook