4K Ultra HD TV

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 55 (30,253 Views)

About major updates of the Android TV software

Just saw this while attempting to perform a firmware update on my XBR55X850D TV:

About major updates of the Android TV software

Software of your Android TV is scheduled to have major updates. (Scheduled to be implemented sequentially after December, 2016)

For features and improvements added on the update, see the following website. Access the link from your PC or smartphone.

http://www.sony.net/androidtv-update/

Message 2 of 55 (30,055 Views)

Re: About major updates of the Android TV software

[ Edited ]

Hi Triplespeed

Welcome to Sony Community! 

Thank you for your input. The link that you provided is from Asia-Pacific support. That announcement is specifically for Asia-Pacific models.We recommend checking out the eSupprt website for updates to U.S./Canada/LATAM models instead: https://esupport.sony.com/. The updates and announcements may be different to other locations. 

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Expert
Message 3 of 55 (29,987 Views)

VincentM wrote:

Hi Triplespeed

Welcome to Sony Community! 

Thank you for your input. The link that you provided is from Asia-Pacific support. That announcement is specifically for Asia-Pacific models.We recommend checking out the eSupprt website for updates to U.S./Canada/LATAM models instead: https://esupport.sony.com/. The updates and announcements may be different to other locations. 

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

What are you talking about? The US models are having the other link being posted as well. He has a US model, just like I do, and I have the same message as him.

Expert
Message 4 of 55 (29,953 Views)

[ Edited ]

I agree, I also have the message appear on my TV's home screen (X850C)

and the link definitely goes to a USA/ENGLISH support article: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/75744

That said, I have not done the update myself yet, because when I check for updates on my system, it says my System Software is up to date. I guess I COULD download the firmware from support but I usually prefer to get it from the TV itself.

Is this Andorid 6.0 update something that HAS to be done via USB drive? Or will it eventually make its way on the TV (OTA update) when it's ready? Im always a bit reluctant to update via USB, especially since I've heard some horror stories with the 6.0 update on some models on the forums haha.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 55 (29,849 Views)

Hoping there will be an update to the update, because it's pretty awful. Most of your installed apps are now randomly piled into "Featured Apps" with no ability to rearrange or sort them. After 12 hours you'll have a couple copies of each app in this pile, after a day several copies. Menu response is jerky and a lot of the streaming apps are far less stable and freeze or crash. Since the update I've had to do a hard reboot (long hold power down on the touch remote) about every 24-36 hours and even that often takes 45 sec to 2 minutes by that point to respond. My model is an XBR65X850C.

Other than the UI being a huge step backwards as far as customization, after the update there is simply no space left on the internal storage, to the point that if you try and see what is being used by apps in settings it will just exit with a not enough storage to display how much storage is being used error. I've uninstalled half of the apps I had installed, and now am stuck with 75% of my apps being the uninstallable stuff I don't care about that is the ever growing list of mostly niche market clip steamers and redundant upsell streamers, which are now all randomly intermixed with the services I actually care about in an endlessly long menu bar.

Added an external disk to USB1 in an attempt to add more storage, then noticed that USB3 was a "SuperSpeed" 3.0 port so moved the disk there only to find out that USB3 doesn't support "large" storage devices, whatever that means since it isn't qualified, and had to mode it back to the USB1 port to get it to reliably recognize the device. Gotta wonder what the intention was to adding a high speed USB port, if you can't use it for a storage device?

I have, since I purchased this product, a year and a half ago, sang the praises of it, and have swayed several people to purchase one over its competitors. I am very disappointed in what amounts to a pre-beta quality major update, and not sure what possible advantage this could have served from Sonys perspective. The only notable new feature I see added with this update, that is not an annoying removal of features, functionality and customization, is the new Samba feature which I assume is something like a more information sidebar, which I can only further assume only works with tuned channels... like who has any directly tuned channels connected to one of these, especially considering one would assume the information for this sidebar would come from an internet connection. So I guess Sony decided to nuke the interface of a fairly high dollar, internet connected TV for a feature only useful to someone viewing on air or non-DRM programming through the built in tuner? A tuner that I can only further assume is only connected directly to a coax on a ridiculously small number of actual installations? Really?

Things that would actually be useful in a major update are, USB3 (3.0) support for large devices, or at least some definition or even mention in the UI of what exactly a "large" device is in a time where multi Gigabyte thumb drives cost less than the minimum ATM withdrawal, and Terabyte laptop hard drives are the "typical" port powered external drives now. The "large" drive "should be installed on USB1" snippet is only mentioned in the manual and nowhere in the UI, it just simply fails to work. More, not less, launcher customizations would be a welcome upgrade. Further Android phone app compatibility would be welcome, even if this meant the apps were initially loaded in a wasteful portrait mode, home automation apps, Firefox, MaxGo all come to mind. Integrated Playstation Vue would be a great goal, or working with SiliconDust to get the HDHomerun app to actually work and not degrade into freezing and beeping within seconds of launch. I cannot honestly see where anything other than enhancing network connected apps and source switching is of value to the future of SmartTVs. If over the air or non-DRM coax connected programming required a USB plugin dongle tuner thrown in with the accessories, this would probably be fine with 95% of customers and could probably eventually be eliminated completely and never missed by the vast majority of users. It’s just a giant Android tablet with a bunch of external video inputs, it doesn’t need to be much more than that. It should just use the same launcher interface, maybe supplied with one specific to TV viewing and apps, but it should use the same API and it can just be whatever the customer wants, it’s not more complicated than that.

Expert
Message 6 of 55 (29,657 Views)

HA HA. Yeah Sony plans on rolling out its firmware fixes "Scheduled to be implemented sequentially after December, 2016"
We will lucky to see anything by June 2017. Sony makes promises and usually up to a year late from their publicized commitment dates.
Expert
Message 7 of 55 (29,655 Views)

I agree with your perspective! This Android was never truly tested and its obvious. Sony was rushing new features to market to try to beat out its competition and in the process ruined their tvs.
Daily full unplug/reboots required, and manually going in and reconfiguring setup, turning off all the apps/services which Android turns everything on by default, which is ****** because the TV processor/memory can't possibly handle all the requirements. An all around amateur operating system which is far from ready for its primetime customers. Shame on Sony and shame on us for purchasing this garbage.
Rookie
Message 8 of 55 (29,099 Views)

Are any of you having an issue with the TV just staying on the screen "About major updates of the Android TV software"?  I clicked on the software update tile and it went to this screen and hasn't moved in about 30 minutes.

Thanks

Joe

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 55 (29,086 Views)

I have a kdl75w850c and the TV will not hold a internet connection. When you turn the TV off you may or may not have wifi and must reconnect. I never lost a wifi connectiion before the update, but it did seem to fix my TV not turning on issue. Please patch this bug many other people on this board have the same wifi problem since the Marshmellow update. My TV is not Smart anymore without WiFi.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 55 (28,601 Views)

I'm in the same boat as you are. When I first turn on the set, the backlight comes on and the tv just sits there - the remote won't do anything. After more than a minute, a message will appear stating there was a problem with the guide and the picture will come on (cable box). The message is still there, but you can't dismiss it with the tv remote (or anything else, apparently). Eventually it will time out on its own.

There is now a serious lag between remote commands and actual actions. This seems to be on the display side, as the volume adjusts before the level is displayed onscreen.  Or it just doesn't react (maybe it's busy thinking what to do next?).

Amazon prime works now (it was killed by the previous update recommended to prevent playback problems with Amazon (which had been working fine for me).

This update has many more tv settings than then previous versions. I actually was able to dig deep in the link settings and might have actually gotten my new Sony BD player to sync. There are a ton of settings to explore (now if I can only remember how I found them).

BTW: I never got a heads up on this update and I have auto updates turned off. It must be magic!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook