Welcome to the Community!

4K Ultra HD TV

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert
Message 1 of 60 (7,748 Views)

AtscTunerInputService fail error message

I have a 2015 Bravia XBR-55X850C.  The other night, when switching inputs from Channels to HDMI3, I received this error message:  "Unfortunately, AtscTunerInputService has stopped."  The only option was an OK button.

What does this error indicate, and is the remedy simply to Restart the Android TV?  I think I will only be really concerned, if the error message continues to come up.  So far, that was the only time I have seen it.

Thank you.

Message 2 of 60 (7,715 Views)

Re: AtscTunerInputService fail error message

Hi Xoptelmeasox,

Welcome and thank you for considering SONY Community!

Contact our Technical Support team as soon as you get this error message.

Thanks,

>Joffrey

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Expert
Message 3 of 60 (7,707 Views)

JoffreyS wrote:

Hi Xoptelmeasox,

Contact our Technical Support team as soon as you get this error message.

Thanks,

>Joffrey

Hi Joffrey, could you please let me know how to contact the Technical Support team?  Is that by phone, email, chat, or this forum?  (I think there are several options, and I want to use the quickest, most direct method.)  Please provide a link, if I need to contact them via the Internet.

I have not seen the error message again; but if I do, I will contact Technical Support immediately--just let me know "how," please.  Thanks, very much!

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 60 (7,686 Views)

Hi I've gotten this same message when watching TV twice in the past week and a half and the only way to get rid of it was unplugging the TV as the TV wasn't responding to the remote. Is there any help for this?

Message 5 of 60 (7,670 Views)

Hi Mrhexic,

Kindly contact our Technical Support team in the link below.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=CONTACT

Thanks,

>Joffrey

Expert
Message 6 of 60 (7,562 Views)

JoffreyS, thank you for providing the Technical Support team link.
Expert
Message 7 of 60 (7,493 Views)

JoffreyS, I just got the message again a few minutes ago.  The Chat Support folks are closed, so I'll try again tomorrow to work with them on this.  I'll let you know the results of whatever it is they ask me to do.

Atsc.jpg

Expert
Message 8 of 60 (7,459 Views)

[ Edited ]

@JoffreyS, here is what happened with Sony eSupport Chat.  (Bottom line--I don't know if it is "fixed" or not.  If the error message appears again, then obviously, it is not fixed.  If the error message doesn't appear again, it might, given enough time.  I just don't know.  Anyway, here goes.)

I just got finished chatting with Customer Support, and the only troubleshooting step performed was a Power Reset.  (The message went out after 8-10 minutes last night, at which time I turned the TV off.  When I turned the TV back on while chatting with Support, of course the message was not there...I expected that.  So, I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA whether a Power Reset helped or not.)

My feeling is, it PROBABLY DID NOT fix the issue.  I believe Sony needs to look at the "AtscTunerInputService" program and develop a fix.  Too many others are experiencing the same issue--that indicates a trend.

To continue.  When I told the CS person that I did not know if that Power Reset would "fix" the issue, they suggested that if it happens again I should do a Factory Reset.

In my opinion, that is no better than a Power Reset at "fixing this issue."  It's like a Band-Aid, that's all it is.  No different than powering off an Android phone--the issue will eventually reappear, unless and until the AtscTunerInputService process is fixed.

Again, I think SOMEONE IN SONY'S ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT NEEDS TO EXAMINE THE "ATSCTUNERINPUTSERVICE" SOFTWARE/FIRMWARE...WHATEVER IT IS...AND FIGURE OUT WHY THE ERROR MESSAGE IS APPEARING ON SO MANY XBR55X850Cs.  THERE MUST BE SOMETHING IN COMMON WITH THEM THAT CAUSES THIS MESSAGE TO APPEAR.

PLEASE--tell Sony's Bravia Hardware/Software Engineers about this issue.  This is an issue THEY need to fix, NOT the customers.  I say that, since it's happening to more than just one TV.  That's my opinion...and I would appreciate you letting them know my thoughts.  Thanks!

(PS  Unfortunately, your troubleshooting steps do not "fix" the issue, so I had to remove it as the "solution."  Thanks again.)

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 60 (7,450 Views)

I had this problem and I chatted with one of the support and he had me do a factory reset. That was two weeks ago and I haven't had an issue with that the or any other programs unfortunately stopping. Before I was getting this message about once a week and other programs would stop but haven't had an issue since the factory reset. I hope it's fixed and not a temporary fix.
Expert
Message 10 of 60 (7,422 Views)

[ Edited ]

mrhexic, I hope your issue is fixed, too.  However, I'm afraid I'm just not very confident that it is.

When our Android phones have an app that isn't working properly, we are able (in most cases) to write an email to the developer (or at least, leave feedback on the Google Play Store).  I don't know if any of the Moderators or Sony-labeled posters in these forums are Android developers or not; but I'm beginning to doubt it.

Myself, I don't feel like this is a "your TV needs to be repaired" issue.  I admit the only reason I say that is, because 99.995% of the time, when my Android phone has an app that starts having problems, it doesn't mean I need to get my phone fixed--it means the app has a problem with its coding.

What I'm especially curious about is, do ANY Sony Android Developers see ANY of the threads on these forums??  I'm not sure how else they are made aware there are issues at all.  Have any of the mods here told a Sony Android Developer, "Hey, folks!  I think maybe the AtscTunerInputService app has a potential problem!  There are several people recently who have told us, their AtscTunerInputService app keeps crashing!"

If the app IS the problem, and the Devs AREN'T told, it may NEVER get fixed.

On the other hand, if the HARDWARE is the problem, and the fault doesn't "pop up" until just before (or after) the 1-year warranty period has expired; but customers have been pointing out that there may be an issue...isn't that a huge disservice to Sony-loyal customers that action WASN'T taken?

Again, I'm not convinced at all that this is some kind of issue with hardware.  Maybe--MAYBE--it has something to do with the Marshmallow update.  My issue didn't pop until about 3 weeks ago (the Marshmallow update started to be pushed in early December, I think it was).  Since my automatic updates weren't on, I didn't update until just before Christmas...right around the time AtscTunerInputService started acting up.

Anyway, I'm rambling and I apologize for that.  Like I said, I hope your issue is fixed.  I am pretty sure I tried a Factory Reset after the first time I saw the error; but I'm not certain.  I know for a fact I've tried several Power Resets since that time, and I still get the error (even though it's infrequent).  So I'm thinking, Power Reset isn't the answer, for sure.

When my Android phone has an app that "turns buggy," one of the first troubleshooting steps I invariably end up doing is "Clear the Cache, clear the Data."  AtscTunerInputService also has both Cache and Data.  Can we/should we clear the Cache and Data for AtscTunerInputService as a troubleshooting step?  NO ONE HAS EVER TOLD ME THAT I SHOULD...AND YET, THAT IS ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS MANY OF US DO, WHEN WE HAVE A "BUGGY" ANDROID PHONE APP.

It's just a thought.  I'm a little hesitant to take such a step; because I don't know what would or could happen.  Could it damage or corrupt the app?  Maybe the app becomes corrupted by some other process in the TV, then "fixes itself" after a Power Reset.  I don't know enough about Android apps or processes, or their interactions, to know that answer.  BUT I WISH A SONY-CERTIFIED ANDROID DEVELOPER WOULD TELL US THE ANSWER TO THAT.  The only way they CAN tell us, is if they are made aware of the problem!

I don't know what to do, or whether I should refer the TV for servicing, do yet another Factory Reset (that is getting REALLY OLD), just be patient for another System Update, or take some other step.  I wish I did know.

Pic of AtscTunerInputService app (the app can be found at Home > Settings > TV > Apps > System apps (and Running apps, assuming it is in a running state):

zpfile002.jpg

zpfile001.jpg

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook