Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

4K Ultra HD TV

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Message 1 of 2 (987 Views)

Does the xbr55x850c pass full 5.1 audio through HDMI ARC port?

[ Edited ]

I have the xbr55x850c with the latest firmware. 

I currently have my Verizon Fios STB and Mac Mini (mid 2010 edition) plugged into the TV on HDMI ports 1 & 2. HDMI 4 is the ARC port and that's connected to my 5.1 system. It seems I'm not getting any audio out of my rear speakers at all. I even tried a few movies like Hurt Locker on the built in TV Netflix and no sound in the action/explosion scenes. 

On my Mac there's a sound test which lets you test each channel and when I tested the rears the audio was coming out of the front speakers. 

My question is whether the ARC port on the TV supports 5.1 sound or only stereo sound. I read up on ARC and it seems that a lot of TVs still don't yet support full 5.1 audio yet. I wasn't sure if that was the case for the latest Sony UHD TVs, of if there's an issue somewhere else (with how I connected it or my 5.1 system). I did a speaker test that's built into my 5.1 system and all channels are firing correctly independent of any audio source. I also tried Auto 1 and Auto 2 settings on the TV. 

Knowing the answer will really help save me time and frustration in isolating the problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 2 of 2 (958 Views)

Re: Does the xbr55x850c pass full 5.1 audio through HDMI ARC port?

Make sure that you have Bravia Sync turned on and that it sees the receiver. You also need to verify that the receiver's ARC is turned on as well. I had the same issue with my Onkyo at first, but somehow got it to work after numerous attempts. For some reason the ARC was not synching correctly between the two, but it works now. Also I recommend keeping the Sony TV audio set to AUTO2 and Audio System. It seemed to work better than the AUTO1 setting.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook