4K Ultra HD TV

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 1 of 13 (2,400 Views)
Accepted Solution

HDR is failing to connect from a new AppleTV 4K box to my XBR 55A1E

the HDR option test is selected fron the AppleTV box and It reports that it will test and return to setup at the 4K SDR 60cps setting if it fails.

the test comences and the sony screen goes black for a moment and then reports the no signal detected and after 20 sec or so it flipps back to 4Ksdr. I then try to manualy set the HDR to HDR10 on the A1E and the result is very garish and overdriven and I test again... and once more the Sony reports no signsl detected (input 4 if it matters) HDR is working on Netflix internaly on the A1E android app .

is HDR available on all 4 inputs?

#1 is DirecTV

#2 is Sony 4K blueray player (international all zones modified)

#3 is an older Panosonic Blulray player

#4 is the AppleTV 4K 64 gig

I have tried 3 diferent known good HDMI 2 cables so we know that is not the problem

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 13 (2,297 Views)

Re: HDR is failing to connect from a new AppleTV 4K box to my XBR 55A1E

Mustrum wrote:

the HDR option test is selected fron the AppleTV box and It reports that it will test and return to setup at the 4K SDR 60cps setting if it fails.

the test comences and the sony screen goes black for a moment and then reports the no signal detected and after 20 sec or so it flipps back to 4Ksdr. I then try to manualy set the HDR to HDR10 on the A1E and the result is very garish and overdriven and I test again... and once more the Sony reports no signsl detected (input 4 if it matters) HDR is working on Netflix internaly on the A1E android app .

is HDR available on all 4 inputs?

#1 is DirecTV

#2 is Sony 4K blueray player (international all zones modified)

#3 is an older Panosonic Blulray player

#4 is the AppleTV 4K 64 gig

I have tried 3 diferent known good HDMI 2 cables so we know that is not the problem

I just got my Sony Bravia and Apple 4K a few days ago and have been playing around with it. But I think to get the enhanced HDR the device has to be connected to either HDMI2 or HDMI3. Try that and see what happens.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 13 (2,271 Views)

That's correct.  Connect your 4K Apple TV to HDMI3 (make sure the HDMI inputs under Settings are set to Enhanced), and connect your Panasonic Bluray to HDMI4 (it will work fine on HDMI1 or 4).

Apprentice
Message 4 of 13 (2,231 Views)

I could not see that in the help files that we have to use rather than a proper manual where did you find it? the dealer told me that HDR is available on all 4 HDMI ports as well as the internal Apps like YouTube my Direct TV has 4KHDR as well on a few sports channels to which I dont subscribe so I have 3 things that need the HDR 

When I next have someone here to help me mive the system to provide access I will try swapping the 3 with 4

but I sure would like to see the documentation... also Sony said all 4 ports as well as the android apps were HDR capable... so mark me confused.

1 Direct tv( no HDR on channels I buy yetbut I will want it when they offer it elsewhere on the system

2  Sony 4K HDR blueray player

3 panasonic blueray

4 Apple TV 4K HDR

Expert
Message 5 of 13 (2,207 Views)

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 6 of 13 (2,204 Views)

Yep it says

"HDCP2.2 (for HDMI1/2/3/4)

and per the hdcp2.2 spec that means 4K 60 HDR AND IS IS SAYING THAT IT IS FOR ALL 4 HDMI PORTS

THIS IS FROM THE SPECIFICATION PAGE

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=XBR55A1E&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 13 (2,152 Views)

It's been a while since I looked, but I believe info may be provided on the Enhanced setting itself.  Regardless, this is pretty common knowledge on the Sony A1E pages on AVSForum, so you may want to check that out as another resource.  Granted, I don't know where the information originated from, but I haven't seem one post challenging it (which usually happens pretty quickly with incorrect information).

Apprentice
Message 8 of 13 (2,145 Views)

Ok I will try sapping the cables around thanks for responding... sure would be nice to have Sony have someone here on their own own forum

What and where is the AVSforum please?

I just double checked and the hdcp 2.2 standard is supposed to be 4K 60 FPS HDR10 perhaps we have to Wait for the much overdue Dolby Atmos enabling patch to have it actually work on all 4 ports?
Expert
Message 9 of 13 (2,143 Views)

Did you read this line:

In some models, the HDMI signal format of HDMI IN 2 and 3 changes at the same time

on page 57 of

https://docs.sony.com/release//Help_C418100121.pdf ?

Not at all clear what that means, but the ports aren't all the same.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 13 (2,133 Views)

www.avsforum.com. Probably the most comprehensive forum for home theater enthusiasts. You'll see a tab on the upper left that says "Forums" where you can find all the threads - there are several on the A1E under "OLED Technology and Flat Panels General"

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook