Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

4K Ultra HD TV

Emerging Star
lennonnz
Accepted Solution

Netflix 4K Content on Sony 4K TV

[ Edited ]

Hi Folks

I'm in NZ have a 65" 4K Sony and we can't get the 4K Media Player as sony has said it won't be released in this market (AU/NZ)

I read that Netflix was going to start testing 4K stuff recently but netflix is not available if you are in NZ so I setup  strongVPN (as Sony base what applictions you can see via geolocking) Account and told the TV to refresh internet content so Netflix Application shows now.

- Now I logged into Netflix and Searched for the "El Fuente" and Played the "EL Fuente: 5994 MP" Video

It plays 100% well.. but a question is. Is the  Netflix Application on the Sony 4K TV playing the content at 4K and not just down scaling the stream as the TV doesn't support it. Its running at about 12Mbps at peak. 

Or will we have to wait until Sony Update the Netflix Application on the Sony TV's to play 4K videos from Netflix?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
LeeSoFL

Re: Netflix 4K Content on Sony 4K TV

You can start reading from this post on avsforums:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473062/official-sony-x9-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread/3270#post_2...

I ran "El Fuente" here in 30fps and it looks terrific, very sharp, high detail. 

The only Sony issue is the display on the 65/900 doesn't display resolution info from internet content.  ugh.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
lennonnz

Having  a real of that thread.. the content coming from netflix is not 4K (as you can go into 3D mode which is not available if you have 4K content).

So either 

- the content is not 4K from netflix

-  the Sony TV doesn't support 4K from netflix so it goes and plays a 1080 version of the stream?

Comments Sony?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

Hi lennonnz! Unfortunately, we are unable to assist customers outside of the US. We kindly recommend visiting our Sony Global Web site for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
LeeSoFL

Okay, so let a Yank ask, and I quote:

"Having  a real of that thread.. the content coming from netflix is not 4K (as you can go into 3D mode which is not available if you have 4K content).

So either 

- the content is not 4K from netflix

-  the Sony TV doesn't support 4K from netflix so it goes and plays a 1080 version of the stream?"

Also check:

http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/Will-Current-4K-TV-s-Offer-Netflix-type-4K-Streaming/m-p...

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
norml4721

Re: N UHD

Hello Brian P/Sony :

I  2nd or 3rd those questions.  One of the problems is that we know when we get a firmware update but Sony does not tell us what the update is,  We have to figure it out for ourselves or through social media.  I know the software updates contain sometimes many small improvements that we may not need to know about.  But we did purchase a 4K UHD TV and it would be nice to know exactly when Sony is going to make our sets  able to receive and view 4K content.

4K content viewing is why we bought these TV's doesn't it make sence to keep us in the loop.

So I also ask is netfix streaming 4K content now.

Does the 900A Sony UHD TV  Netfix App  receive  the 4K stream from netflix and then process and display it at 4K,

If the answer is no to either of these questions or both let us know\

4K CONTENT IS A BIG THING FOR US DO NOT KEEP US IN THE DARK

Thank You,

Norm L

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
mr2bob

I also think it is important for a very expensive, flagship, cutting edge technology to be upgradable in the near future ( 7 months). 4K streaming is the future of 4K delivery since it seems it is not very likely we are going to have a 4k "Blu-ray" disc, at least any time soon. The broadcasting of 4K content seems years away, if ever. So if we don't have 4K streaming possible on the 1st generation sets, we are left out.....

We knew streaming would be the soonest delivery system when we bought the 4K units last year and now we are told maybe we might be upgraded in the future by a firmware upgrade that may or not be compatible with current steaming delivery systems.

That is not good enough, we bought these 2013 4K Tv's in good faith and now all we get is silence and speculation. Someone in Sony owes it to us early adapters a statement on the upcoming plans to bring our sets up to the useful state of the art 4K UHD units that they should be. 

Just my two cents,

Bob

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

We will send the information to engineering for review. Thanks! 

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
LeeSoFL

[ Edited ]

Almost the same day Reed Hastings (Netflix) took the stage with Mike Fasulo (Sony) two weeks ago, Netflix signal quality here at my home started jumping all over the place.  If I try to watch a film during "primetime," I'm lucky to get the weakest of the HD signals (720HD) but it more often plays at 480 which is standard definition.  Very disappointing with a 4K television.  The signal quality shifts around and I'm able to see the picture soften and sharpen before my very eyes.  The kicker is, if I turn on Netflix at 6AM, every selection I choose to sample comes through strong and clear at 1080 Super HD.

A couple of things happened almost the same day these two gentlemen took the stage.  Sony sent out a 4K firmeware update that included a "new look Netflix" application page and Sony added the ability to clock speed the incoming Netflix signal strength on the 4K display.  Two weeks later, neither of these things are working as they should.  

Last night, while on the phone with Netflix (during prime time when I have my quality problems) I was told "we know there have been picture quality issues recently, and we are workiing on it."

My main concern for the weeks and months ahead is when Netflix makes 4K streaming official, and hopefully my first generation 4K 65/900 gets a sottware update, I don't want to come to find the signal Netflix is offering is never going to go past 720HD.  

(The picture below was taken at 6AM when I get Netflix's best signal.)  Check out this Netflix featurette, it shows all the streaming info as it plays. There's an audio test sweep throughout and color bars, convergence tests toward the end:

"Example Short 23.976"

Good luck to all of us,

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
4K_Disappointed

I agree with mr2bob.

My post on another thread:

I keep seeing reference to the eSupport article covering the 2013 XBR65X850A "Will Sony 4K Ultra HD TVs support 4K streaming content?". However, it is my understanding Sony's "solution" for viewing HEVC content on these models is to buy another media player not yet available because 2013 models don't have the necessary hardware installed. Please forgive and correct me if I am mistaken. Many of us have already spent thousands of dollars for a 2013 Ultra HD 4K TV and the FMP-X1 media player believing future 4K streaming such as Netflix would be natively capable. My TV model is still being sold by Sony for $3500 and the 2014 B models aren't even physically available yet. Sony phone support could not answer my specific 4K streaming questions, so I did fairly extensive online research in 2013 and nowhere did I find reference to 2013 models requiring purchase of future additional hardware, only future firmware updates which aren't enough. Perhaps Sony could offer a discount code or rebate for 2013 model buyers to purchase the upcoming FMP-X5 or X10.

Please use plain text.