Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert
Message 1 of 317 (15,168 Views)

Sony XBR55X850C hdr washed out colors

[ Edited ]
Hello everyone,

Last year I bought the Sony Bravia Xbr55x850c

I recently bought an Xbox one S and found out about HDR, so I did my research and
I changed the hdmi inputs to "enhanced" the Xbox one S had a green check mark for saying my
Tv supports 4K and hdr and all that good stuff...

So I pop in gears 4 the tv blinks and detects hdr , now that it's in hdr mode the colors actually look
Dimmer and completely washed out! I thought it was an Xbox one S error so I tested it on the
Tvs native Netflix app and tried Marco Polo. It also looks washed out in HdR

I'm getting the complete opposites of what HDR should look , instead of vibrant beautiful colors in getting gray washed out looks

Now I tried turning off the Xbox one S hdr setting and manually turned the picture mode to hdr on the tv
And it looks very reddish everything looks super red and just not right...

What is going on? I tried changing the calibration of the colors for hours and no luck. I'm disappointed with the HDR in this tv

I called Sony customer support and the guy on the phone says only the 850D models support hdr and I said then why did
My tv receive an update to allow HDR capabilities ? I understand it's not TRUE hdr but it shouldn't look completely worse and washed out...

Anyone have a similar issue or a fix? Is this normal?

https://postimg.org/image/o25ntu0mb/
Expert
Message 2 of 317 (15,067 Views)

Re: Sony XBR55X850C hdr washed out colors

bump
Message 3 of 317 (15,031 Views)

Hi Vfez71

Welcome again to Sony Community! 

I sent you a private message. Kindly check your community inbox. 

Regards,

Vincent 

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 317 (15,027 Views)

I have the exact same tv and same problem.   What made my picture a little better was changing the dynamic range on the HDMI input you are using for the xbox to LIMITED.  You can get there via the HOME button and then picture and display on the TV.   I dont think this TV supports the full HDR scale, thats why its called a HDR compatible TV. 

Expert
Message 5 of 317 (15,001 Views)

I'm going to be trying that, one of the Sony reps in the chat support told me to do a factory reset and reinstall the firmware it could be a firmware issue, I'll let you know if that works if it doesn't I'll definitely be trying the limited hdmi input option.

****** our tvs aren't enjoying hdr as it should... I honestly would've hold off on my 4K purchase if I knew it wasn't True HDR , I feel kind of cheated.. sigh
Expert
Message 6 of 317 (14,992 Views)

Ok so I changed the input to limited and I actually don't see a difference
So far even after the factory reset the colors still look washed out and dim in hdr mode
Expert
Message 7 of 317 (14,967 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same problem here, I bought the KD-55X8505C in the Netherlands (EU). Maybe we have to turn off some kind of power saving setting? When you turn of the 'advanced contrast enhancer' it stops auto-dimming, but the picture stays completely washed out...

Expert
Message 8 of 317 (14,951 Views)

Hmm that's an interesting thought, I'm getting different responses from Sony reps everytime. Some say the tv isn't compatible others do.

Thing is Sony released a firmware update allowing this model to be hdr compatible and we have all the options for it so there has to be something affecting hdr mode on these tvs
Expert
Message 9 of 317 (14,948 Views)

[ Edited ]

Second thought, in HDR mode (which switches on automatically for HDR-content) it enables the 'light sensor' and you can't turn it off in this mode. It responds to the brightness/darkness off your room, I guess.

Third thought, the white subtitles (if enabled) can trigger the 'advanced contrast enhancer' to respond to the white text. It responds to the brightness/darkness off your screen, I guess.

Expert
Message 10 of 317 (14,941 Views)

Do you guys know if these are problems that are going to be fixed through another firmware update?

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook