4K Ultra HD TV

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 6 (360 Views)

TV zoom "feature not available" for 4k bluray content

[ Edited ]

Why is my zoom feature on my TV xbr75x800e locked out?

It works when I change to 1080p resolution on my 4k player Sony UBPx800.

I hate viewing 2.40:1 movies on a 16x9 1.80:1 TV. You lose 30% of your screen area. Large area of black above and below movies in 2.40:1.  So I zoom in. I cut off the sides of the movie in favor of filling the entire TV screen.

When I did this with DVD they looked bad. Blurays looked awesome and showed great detail. I was looking forward to 4k HDR zoomed in for even more detail only to be ripped off with nothing more than a

marketing ploy.

"Feature unavailable"  A simple firmware fix.

Every advertisment on Sony 4k products shows a picture filling the entire TV screen with no unused area.

This is false advertising.

There is nothing in the manuals saying the zoom feature will be locked out for 4k content.

This is fraud.

Rookie
Message 2 of 6 (232 Views)

Re: TV zoom "feature not available" for 4k bluray content

Couldn't agree more.  Just sat down to watch a 4K disc on my new XBR65930E and UBP-X800 blu ray player.  I couldn't believe there was no zoom feature available, as there used to be on just a regular blue ray movie.  Hate seeing black bars on a brand new big screen TV.  Very disappointed that this feature doesn't work.

Expert
Message 3 of 6 (226 Views)

Just guessing, but the chipset probably doesn't have the power necessary to rescale 4 times the input pixels as comparede to the old blu rays.

Rookie
Message 4 of 6 (108 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm not expert either, but that doesn't completely make sense to me... the TV can fill the entire display with a 4K image from Netflix or cable box, so why can't it do that with a 4K blu ray?  Plus, the XBR930E has Sony's top of the line image processor, so it should be able to handle scaling content if anything can.

I'm waiting for a repsonse from Sony to this question, as they have a very unhappy customer on their hands right now.

Expert
Message 5 of 6 (104 Views)

Just for comparison, a compressed Netflix 4k stream might use 30 Mbs of bandwidth.  A UHD/HDR blu-ray can push 18 Gbs over the HDMI cable.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 6 (82 Views)

I will say if you have the Sony 4k plauer and TV you can change the 4k to 1080p rez and have an HDR option on the TV.

Still very disappointed they locked out the feature due to marketing tactics.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook