Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 7 (757 Views)
Accepted Solution

Tv speakers not working when headphones plugged in

I have a Sony xbr55x850e TV and Sony MDR-rf985r wireless earphones. As soon as I plug in the earphones to the tv, the tvs volume switches to the earphones even though the earphones are off. I would like to use the earphones and the tvs speakers simultaneously. Is this possible? Also, does this tv have a Bluetooth option? I can't find the setting...
EHB Expert
Expert
Message 2 of 7 (732 Views)

Re: Tv speakers not working when headphones plugged in

I am 99% sure you can do this, as I've had to turn it off on my TV. In audio settings you can select audio out and change it from headphones to audio out. I don't know if your headphones have a volume control built in? If so I would select Audio Out Fixed, so you can control them independently.

As regards Bluetooth: Sony have no control over the standard audio profile & it is poor quality, with a poor & variable latency. The BT people do loads of things, from heart rate monitors to mice & I don't think it is their priority. Maybe BT 5... There would be no end of complaints if Sony did enable it for good TVs. You are far better off with your headphones & their private wireless protocol.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 7 (729 Views)

Thank you very much. It works now.
Expert
Message 4 of 7 (716 Views)

Here is the official list of TV's with bluetooth audio.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/66588

but it is probably all of the 2017 models ending in e.   Note that BT audio was added in the update that went to android 7 so be sure you have that installed.

If you are getting new headphones, look for something with the aptx codec to have the least latency.

Message 5 of 7 (700 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Ericd22,

Welcome and thank you for considering SONY Community!

Here are the Settings that you need to check to hear audio from the headphones and TV speakers at the same time.

For Android TVs:
1.On the remote control, press the HOME button.
2.Select Settings.
3.Under the TV category, select Sound.
4.Select Headphone/Audio out.
5.Select Audio out(Fixed).
6.On the remote control, press the BACK button.
7.Select Headphone speaker link.
8.Select Speakers on.

For other TVs:
1.On the remote control, press the HOME button.
2.Select Settings.
3.Select Preferences.
4.Select Setup.
5.Select AV Setup.
6.Select Headphone/Audio out.
7.Select Audio out.
8.Select the BACK or RETURN button to go back to AV Setup.
9.Select Audio out.
10.Select Fixed.

For further assistance, see link below.
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43606

Thanks,
>Joffrey

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

EHB Expert
Expert
Message 6 of 7 (669 Views)

I like Sony's phrase;

"Other Bluetooth headphones that support A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) may work with your TV. However, we don't guarantee its operation"

basically, we've had so much hassle we've turned it on, but if you use other manufacturer's receivers and the quality is poor please don't hassle us. 

1st generation APT-X has now been superseded by APT-X LL (low latency). I think is also now a HD version. I've used APT-X 1st gen both transmitter and receiver; the lip sync is still slightly off. Sound quality is better though.

i now have an APT-X LL transmitter in the headphone jack; if anything it is too quick. Receiver is also APT-X LL. I think you need two of the same.  Even if Sony turn on the BT standard more widely I'm not sure they have the chip to be able to send Apt-X. Couldn't see it on the website. I think this is the best option: it has BT 4.2 and can connect to two headphones at the same time; what if you are watching with someone else...

Expert
Message 7 of 7 (658 Views)

I use one of these bluetooth speakers on my deck outside the TV room and it sounds great - suprisingly close to being in sync with the wired speakers connected to the A/V receiver inside in places where you can hear both.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/hi-fi-systems/gtk-xb5

Sony does have their own low-latency bluetooth codec but I don't see anything documented about the TV having it so I was somewhat surprised at how well it works.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook