Welcome to the Community!

4K Ultra HD TV

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 11 (180 Views)

WIFi Broken and Sony support hung up on me

I have a XBR 65x900B and I am a very unhappy camper.  My wife wanted to screencast to the TV but it appears a software update broke the WIFI.  I did multiple hardware resets and I get a message saying the WIFI adapter was found but I can’t configure the adapter and I get a message to call Sony which I did.

I followed all the instructions given to me by the support person who ultimately told me after a half hour that my TV was out of warranty and hung up on me.  Given this is a software and not a hardware problem Sony is responsible even if the system is out of warranty.

This TV was sold as future proof (not) no HDR support.  I’m done with Sony after this extremely poor customer support experience and I’m telling every one I know not to buy Sony

Expert
Message 2 of 11 (172 Views)

Re: WIFi Broken and Sony support hung up on me

Does that one have ipv6?   Some people with newer models have posted here that disabling ipv6 made their connection work, although that might depend on your home router and internet provider.

By the way, don't believe anyone who says they know the future of technology.   At least now there are inexpensive streaming devices you can add to catch up a few years.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 11 (155 Views)

IPv6 is off.  Router isn’t the issue.  There are other WIFI routers in the area and if the adapter could inialize I’d see them.  When things stop working and nothing hardware wise has changed software s the culprit.  I no longer have access to the functionality I paid for.  Being hung up by support is the final straw

Expert
Message 4 of 11 (148 Views)

Are you saying that everyone who got that software update no longer has networking?

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 11 (139 Views)

Unless someone can give me a better explanation I think the software didn’t install properly and I see no fix.  I tried reinstalling using a USB drive but the TV wouldn’t install the update on the TV because it was the same as was already installed.

Expert
Message 6 of 11 (129 Views)

I thought there was a way to force a reinstall from USB for the cases where it wouldn't even reboot after a bad install.  Is that what you were discussing with support when they gave up?

Expert
Message 7 of 11 (113 Views)

The other thing that is usually suggested for problems after an update is a factory reset which will delete all of your settings in case they confuse the new version of the software.   Have you tried that yet?

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 11 (110 Views)

I’ve done a factory reset more then three times where  I’ve unplugged the TV, waited 5 minutes, plugged the TV back into the wall, held down the up arrow after the system was on and turned off the TV using the switch.  I get an occasional message about the wireless adapter being found but when I try to set up the WiFi but then do not seee any ssid’s and all I got was a message to call Sony and aftter a while I was hung up on after spending a half hour working through their support script.

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 11 (66 Views)

One more sign the problem is firmware and software related. I have another Sony tv with the same version of the software. In the network settings some of the settings are missing on the affected tv
Expert
Message 10 of 11 (64 Views)

Are you sure the factory reset is actually happening?   If it is the same as newer models there is also a way to do it in the settings menus.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook