Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

4K Ultra HD TV

Groovin'
Andyinlz

Re: Will Current 4K TV's Offer Netflix (type) 4K Streaming?

Saying is one thing--and doing is another.

I also note that the Trusted Review blurb above--as near as I can tell--predates the CES Netflix announcement.

Does anyone have anything more definitive (i.e., in writing) and AFTER the CES announcement?

Supposedly, Crutchfield heard this just yesterday and directly from their Sony engineer contact.

I will return both units unless this is definitively nailed down in the coming few days.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Andyinlz

As an additional bit of non-information......a rep. at the Sony 4K support line just told me that their decision regarding whether current 4k TVs will support future Netflix 4K streaming was "confidential" and would not be released to me until they were ready to make an announcement.

The adage "****** on a Boar" immediately came to mind with respect to the usefulness of this non-information!

I expect that current owners will not be able to take advantage of the Netflix 4K streaming--and I suspect that their current reluctance to say so may have something to do with moving the remaining stock of "A" TVs.

I feel for all of you who no longer have the ability to return these TVs for a refund.

Sony really needs to upgrade their customer support and the attitude that goes along with it.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
LeeSoFL

[ Edited ]

Andyintz,

I don't think you're going to hear anything completely guaranteed in the next few days, so you might be best served by getting the latest and greatest when it's available.  This way you won't have to be a late-add to the first adopters and potentially feel shortchanged.

I have been told by two separate Sony reps that the A series would be able to receive 4K Netflix once the TV's software is updated.  I can't say for sure, but if Netflix is going ahead with the release of programs on their system in 4K, it isn't something they thought of in June, and rolled out seven months later.

Sorry no one in authority can nail down an answer.  Since you're only a few months away from the release of the B models, it might be prudent to wait.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
LeeSoFL

[ Edited ]

From Wednesday 1/15/14:

What kind of TV will I need?

Broadly speaking, you’ll need a 2014 Ultra HD television. The Ultra HD TVs that were released in 2013 (which are still being sold today) will not support the apps or the decoding chips necessary for viewing streaming Ultra HD out of the box. It is possible that manufacturers will have a fix in place for early adopters.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/everything-need-know-streaming-ultra-hd-2014/#ixzz2qgBQR1M... 

Keyword in all of this "it is possible."

wishlist.jpg

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
mr2bob

Just read a review in "Sound and Vision" magazine on the Samsung Ultra HDTV and here is how Samsung is handling the future of 4K:

I quote:

" The HDMI inputs on this set, as on most current sets are HDMI 1.4b. This is sufficient to handle today's standard and up to 1080p high definition sources, plus 3840 x 2160 Ultra HD at a maximum of 30 frames per second. 

However, if and when there are expanded capabilities with 4K sources, HDMI 1.4b will not cut it. More  advanced HDMI levels are coming, but most current 4K sets can't handle them, since that would require hardware changes. But Samsung's 4K sets can be upgraded to future HDMI capabilities with the purchase of a new One Connect Box (cost to be determined), freeing you from having to buy an entirely new TV."

We can only hope Sony will "take care" of their customers as well as Samsung. If Samsung could put in place a plan to keep their sets up to date with technology, that obviously they saw coming. Then it would be a shame for Sony to leave behind there loyal early adapters, and then shame on me for buying Sony.

Bob

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
norml4721

Hello All :

This post and non response from Sony is getting me discouraged to say the least.  I spent $6000 for this 4K TV.  And I stress 4K TV.  This is supposed to be a 4K tevevision.

Sony customer support redefines the meaning of customer support at least from the way that they are handeling this. ( and other issues that I am having with this set )  What do they mean confidential information.   If I  cannot view 4K  content on this set I will return it and do ot care how long I have had the set. 

Norm L

Sony customer

--- Sony has supplied me with aggrevation.  free of charge

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
mr2bob

Sony customer
--- Sony has supplied me with aggrevation. free of charge
Funny but sad….
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
LeeSoFL

[ Edited ]

Hey, that is funny.

I am a customer just like everyone else and will be watching along with all current owners to see how Sony handles new features that could be added to our televisions.

I still think the article where they say they're going to stand by first buyers is the way this is going to eventually shake out.

Also the superuser program requires I divulge membership but I'm still the same thorn in Sony's side as I've been since 1968 when I was 13.

myfirstsony.jpg

Lee
#SuperUserbySony

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
mr2bob

That makes us the same age….. lol
Bob b. 1955
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
norml4721

Hi Guys :

In 1968 I was in the U.S.Army. So I am a little older than you guys.  In the early 70's I had an audio video store that sold and repaired amoung other things Sony TV.s.

I did that for about ten years then when into the high tech industry.  My last position was instrumentation product manager in the semi conductor industry.   I have a lot of friends still in the high end audio business but am no longer directly involved myself  at least as a business.   but I am and have always been an audiophile and somewhat of a video guy as well.  

As for this TV it is replacing a Pioneer Elite Kuro in my home theater.   (Not one problem in almost 7 years )  I personaly think that not enough time was spent in manufacturing egineering and beta sites with this set.   Way to many issues for a set of this caliber.  Sony  moved to fast at the product release stage  (More time was needed to properly test this TV ) and is not following up with its customer base.

All that being said it is not to late for Sony to fix this TV. If they want to compete and gain market share in this high end consumer market they have to stand behind there products.  People tend to brag about there audio video gear word of mouth goes a long way in this industry.  I actualy do not mind spending a little extra for quality

.  I still have a few pieces of old McIntosh tube gear that I use in my 2 channel system  That I purchased about 40 years ago.

Anyway good chatting with you guys and I hope that  Sony does the right thing and makes sure that it keeps its customer base happy with quality customer support  even if it cost them a little bit of money the good will goes a long way for your reputation I know this for a fact.  i have had to recall/retrofit products in the past.  Not easy to do when you have a few hudred thousand or more products in question.

regardless  We will see how Sony handles this.   there are some legal issues involved here I believe.  Like I said this is sold as a 4K TV.  We purchased this TV in good faith as a 4K TV and it should be able to receive, process and play 4K media as such.

getting a bit side tracted here,

LOL,

Norm L

Please use plain text.