Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4 (378 Views)
Accepted Solution

XBR-55x850d ARC vs optical

Can you use the Optical output and the ARC output at the same time or can you only use one at a time?

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 4 (347 Views)

Re: XBR-55x850d ARC vs optical

The best answer I can give is I think so. I have an older Sony receiver which does not fully support ARC. (It only has HDMI 1.2; I read you need HDMI 1.4 for ARC.) The older Sony has something they call "Control for HDMI". Similarly the Bravia Sync partly works. So I added a digital audio cable and it works fine with my HDMI cable in the ARC HDMI port on the TV.  Hope this helps.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 4 (325 Views)

Can you just turn on ARC and plug in an optical cable to a different input on your av receiver and see.

I would imagine that it should work with both.
Message 4 of 4 (295 Views)

Hi All,

Welcome and thank you for considering the SONY Community!

We recommend to use one connection at a time. The ARC function will work if both devices have the feature. If only one device has an ARC feature, you can use an optical cable as alternative. You may refer below for more information on this:

• When the AV receiver is connected to different external devices such as a cable or satellite setup box, game console, Blu-ray Disc® player, or other external devices, it is recommended to connect a high speed HDMI® cable from the HDMI ARC output jack of the AV receiver into the HDMI ARC input jack of the Android TV.

HDMI connection between the TV and AV receiver

• To hear the audio on the other audio system, connect the Android TV an optical cord from optical output jack of the Android TV to the optical input jack of the Sound bar.

Connecting the TV to audio system using an optical cord

Regards,

~Ralph

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook