Welcome to the Community!

4K Ultra HD TV

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 21 of 27 (252 Views)

Re: XBR55X850D USB file access

I have kodi on my set (XBR65X850C), but have not tried it for media playback, but I will, thanks for the heads up.  I'm hearing Plex for the first time, can someone give me Plex 101?  Thanks in advance to all that have attempted to help, these forums are the BEST for figuring out stuff like this.  After all, we're all in this together!

Cheers,

J

Enthusiast
Message 22 of 27 (251 Views)

Just read your message again, this time thoroughly, and I like the idea, but there is no way Google will allow me to upload the quantity of music I want to have ready at hand. It is somewhere between 1.5 and 1.8TB, and my goal (honestly, i thought this would be easy) is to be able to access all of my media (another TB of pictures and then movies.vids) on any of the 4 PCs I have connected to TVs throughout the house. Surprisingly, this is proving pretty challenging. For instance, DLNA (Using MediaMonkey) seemed to be hit and miss for me. I just want to "map" for lack of a more suitable word, my media drive, even the root if that's all I can get. What I don't want is to have to navigate through 8 levels of HDD to play a single track in VLC, THAT...... Is a pain.

Thanks again!
Expert
Message 23 of 27 (188 Views)

I've tried several times to post some information about plex here and they keep disappearing.  Sorry, I give up.  But it is not hard to find the server software and install it, and the TV client is in the google play store.

Enthusiast
Message 24 of 27 (163 Views)

Trying Plex now, thanks brother. I can take it from here. I will be posting again, and until I find a solution to this. It's maddening that this is as difficult as it is in the digital age. You should have everything in your collection available to you on your lan anywhere at any time. It should be user friendly, and flexible, and preferably be able to play a variety of file formats.
Expert
Message 25 of 27 (145 Views)

Plex has its own forum if you have questions that aren't sony tv specific.  You can also run it on phones and tablets, and you can use the browsing/casting capability for free, but with those versions if you want to play directly on the device you have to pay a fee.

I'm not sure why my longer postings kept disappearing.  I also replied about Google music allowing 50,000 songs uploaded for free and their similar service for photos that is free (and unlimited) if you let them resize to 12M/picture or you can pay for space to keep full resolution.  There is no TV app for google photos, but you can cast them from a chrome tab on a PC or Mac.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 26 of 27 (131 Views)

You've been a great help. I am running plex on the TV now, and I have servers set up on 1 laptop and one TV PC so far. I love it. This looks like exactly what I was looking for, I am going to install it on my phones and my tablet, the rest of my PCs and see what shakes out. Also, thanks for the tip on Google Play Music, I am uploading there as we speak. I have as it turns out, in my main 3-4 directories just under 100,000 (BTW, that's an update for you, Google is telling me it's 100K not 50K). tracks, so for the moment I am good. I am almost certainly going to purchase Plex (Will start with a month then maybe the lifetime license if it's good for me). I may also pay Google for additional storage so I can upload my remaining directories.

More soon, and thanks again!

J
Expert
Message 27 of 27 (109 Views)

Note that you don't have to pay for plex for the server or android TV version or web player but you get access to some other things with a plex pass and if you want to use the phone/tablet versions as more than a browser/controller there is a fee for that.

If you have trouble with pauses or stuttering on 4k content on the TV, check settings > apps to see if you have enabled storage permission.  Per someone else's advice here I've done that on several video apps (notably Amazon Video) and it seems to enable better buffering for smoother play.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook