4K Ultra HD TV

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 10 (1,358 Views)

XBR55X900E Android App HDR Not Automatically Switching

Hello,

I have recently bought the XBR55X900E and am having a problem with the HDR while using the Android Apps. I have a 4K HDR movie from Google Play, but when I play it, with HDR on automatic, it does not switch to HDR10. When I manually put HDR10 on, the darks are too dark and the reds are overpowering. Skin looks orange/reddish. The movie I'm testing with is Spider-Man Homecoming. There is a scene with a sunset, when I turn HDR10 on, the sun is too orange/red and overpowers everything, while the rest of the scene is so dark you can't see his face or any other detail. I have a 4K Apple TV, which automatically detects HDR and turns on HDR10. I don't have these color problems with the Apple TV, only when using an app from within the TV itself.

Thanks for any help.

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 10 (1,340 Views)

Re: XBR55X900E Android App HDR Not Automatically Switching

Does Youtube play any HDR videos?

I think any custom app provided by Google does not support HDr

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 10 (1,331 Views)

The YouTube app on the TV also does not automatically switch to HDR10 when watching an HDR video. There is an app called Ultra which has 4K movies. When I open that app, it automatically switches to HDR. Since YouTube is a Google app, perhaps I won't get HDR when using them. Strange how the colors are off on the YouTube or Netflix TV app vs using those apps on my Apple TV.
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 10 (1,323 Views)

Yeah its really sad that a android based tv os does not support the features which it has built whereas other companies like Samsung or Roku have HDR version of apps.

See below link too..this issue was there in last year Sony series also..

http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/HDR-video-from-the-Youtube/m-p/601574/highlight/true#M13...

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 10 (1,316 Views)

Thanks for the help. Yea stinks that I'm not gonna use the built in apps now and just stick with my Apple TV. At least I can get on YouTube to get my 4K HDR movie on the Apple TV to workaround that. Although my Apple TV doesn't seem as bright with HDR on. It's still new, I guess I need to calibrate it some. Still like the TV though, just the apps are a downfall.

Thanks again.
Expert
Message 6 of 10 (1,240 Views)

Netflix, Amazon Prime, the Ultra app and probably others handle HDR fine.   It is google/vudu/movies anywhere that haven't bothered to make their apps work yet.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 10 (168 Views)

Has anyone got You tube to switch to HDR mode yet?
Expert
Message 8 of 10 (165 Views)

The youtube app only handles HDR on a few devices.  Android TV is not one of them.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 10 (161 Views)

Thanks. I forced it into HDR mode and it looks awesome on nature stuff. Even though it's not true HDR. I just got TV two days ago. HDR still seems kind light on ps4
Stuff.
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 10 (75 Views)

I noticed tonight on my Amazon Prime there was no header category for 4k UHD movies. When I did search for 4k all that came up was their original shows? My apps are all up to date. Every time I'd click on movie title all I get are ad or HD stream rental options. Granted my internet speed is slow at the moment but that should not hinder the options coming up would it?

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook