Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 8 (755 Views)

AS50 timelapse faulty pictures

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have used my AS50 for timelapses in a number of scenarios (still, bike, car), and all scenarios result in faulty jpg images. I've tried selecting different increments of timing - they all result in the same problem. Please see below for examples.

Sometimes a photo is completely corrupt (and the Action Cam Movie Creator application for Windows crashes when trying to load this jpg to compile into a video file) (approx 1/100 jpgs), or the jpg is created correctly but a lower portion of the image is visually digitally corrupted(?).

How do I fix this?

Expert
Message 2 of 8 (751 Views)

Re: AS50 timelapse faulty pictures

Which SD card are you using? Looks like the camera has problems writing the files to it.

Also how do you import/copy the files to your PC?
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 8 (750 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply.

It's a 64GB Class 10 Kingston microSD card - here's the old eBay listing I purchased from.

I understand that Class 10 and 4GB+ are the only requirements for this device?

http://helpguide.sony.net/cam/1640/v1/en/contents/TP0000912398.html

I'm transferring via USB cable.

I never connected these two issues in the past, but now thinking along the lines of your comments, I also had an issue with a video recording I made a month ago. I finished the recording on the device and then powered it off, not checking the display at any stage in the process (it was in a dark room). When I went to import my video file to computer an hour later, I was told that the card needed to be formatted in order to be used. I got this message via both USB cable and through a microSD-SD adapter in my laptop's card reader. The action cam was also unable to write to the card again without formatting it. After spending a full day on it, I managed to recover said video file from the card using recovery software on my computer.

Do you think that this issue may be related to the one in the previous post?

Expert
Message 4 of 8 (748 Views)

There are different options for what is causing the issue:

1. The camera is broken (unlikely)

2. The SD card is fake and does not even remotely allow fast enough write speeds (you could verify that with a SD benchmark).

3. The SD card is broken (can happen).

4. Something went wrong during transfer of the files to your PC (in that case I highly recommend to ONLY use "PlayMemories Home" from Sony to import the files from the camera to your PC).
Expert
Message 5 of 8 (721 Views)

Try another SD card ASAP.
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 8 (385 Views)

Thank you for all your advice.

I've just spent a week and a half driving up the east coast of Australia with a timelapse @ 1sec running most of the way, and have finished again with plenty of corrupted images. One of the other annoying things is that the Action Cam Movie Creator software simply crashes when it comes to scan one of these dodgy files, rather than just ignoring it. So I've had to painstakingly go through the 64,000 jpgs and delete the ones with no thumbnail!

Anyway, I've bought a new microSD (Sandisk Extreme 32GB UHS Class 3) now, and will report if the issues recurr. FWIW, a speed test of the original card gave me 12.307MB/s read speed and 4.487MB/s write speed. I would have thought this is substantial to write a 600KB jpg each second, but maybe no....

FWIW, the new card has read speed 76.219MB/s and write speed 47.778MB/s - hopefully this will be better...!

Expert
Message 7 of 8 (383 Views)

pomes27 wrote:

FWIW, a speed test of the original card gave me 12.307MB/s read speed and 4.487MB/s write speed. I would have thought this is substantial to write a 600KB jpg each second, but maybe no....

If you slow it down to less than a second, does it work better?

Those IO calls to the card can really slow it down... sustained speed and burst are entirely different.

Expert
Message 8 of 8 (351 Views)

How do you import the files to your PC/MAC?

Do you use PlayMemories Home or do you copy manually?

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook