Action Cam

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 12 (2,300 Views)

Action Cam Movie Creator - how to edit footage

Hi Folks,

I'm new to Action Cam Movie Creator and cannot figure out how to do basic edits to video footage. Just cutting out the unwanted sections of video recordings. 

Can anyone help?

TIA

Brian

Expert
Message 2 of 12 (2,293 Views)

Re: Action Cam Movie Creator - how to edit footage

Did you view the videos and tutorials? And did you read the instructions?

http://www.sony.net/Products/actioncam/en-us/support/features/

http://guide.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/acmc/4000/en/index.html?

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 12 (2,278 Views)

Yes of course. Nowhere in any of those links is any instructions on the basic function of cutting out unwanted footage, at least I can't find it if it is in there.

Pardon me for being a cyber ancient, but what I need is specific help on this exact function.

Brian

Expert
Message 4 of 12 (2,277 Views)

Oh, OK, I guess they assume some basic knowledge of editors. On the Edit page, there is a Trim button on the bottom and then you will see some sliders at each end of the clip on the Trim line. You can move these around for what you want to cut off. Play around with it and play the clip before you save it. Should be pretty easy to figure out...

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 12 (2,161 Views)

I left it for a while then came back with a fresh mind (?)  to have another crack but havn't got lucky yet.

I think I need a description of the steps or the sequence of using the buttons. 

What I"ve been trying to do is go through the whole recording and put markers at the start and stop points of the segments which i want to keep and delete. So I've gotten through the recording and got markers throughout, but then I can't make the "in" and "out" buttons do their thing. 

More help please, perhaps step by step on markers and in and out thingies.

Many Thanks

Brian L

Expert
Message 6 of 12 (2,144 Views)

Well, without being able to watch you, it's hard to know exactly what you are doing. But forget the Markers for now. They are used to set reference points on your video to navigate to for various reasons (eg setting up a table of contents).

What you want to do, I think, is trim out the pieces of video that you don't want. For that you just move the red timeline to where you want to trim the video. If you hit the In button, the video at the left of that will be trimmed out. And when you move it to the end side, and hit Out, all video to the right will be trimmed out. Or you could just move the sliders on the Trim line itself at each end and it will trim out what you don't want. For fine trim line movements, you can use the arrow buttons on the In/Out line for more precise trimming.

When you Play the video on the Edit page, it will only show the portion that you want, and not the trimmed off pieces. When you have what you want, just hit Next to go forward to the final Save page and choose the rendering format you want.

Like I said, you need to play around with it a bit, and should not be hard to figure out. If you still can't get it to work, then describe exactly your step by step actions, and maybe we can spot what you are doing wrong.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 12 (1,811 Views)

OK, back at this after a bit of being over it........so I followed these words and i can trim off the first part of any footage, and the last part. I've stepped through that and hit "next" and saved and got a shorter video. So that counts as progress.

But what if I want to keep say 3 sections out of the middle of the footage, how do I cut out the two bits between the sections I want to keep?

My attempts have been to trim the first and last bits off, then try to cut a piece out of the middle. But adjusting the sliders on the trim line seems to obliterate anything I've done with trimming the first and last bits.

Do I have to trim out each section which I want to keep one at a time and save them as different files, then combine them later?

Example:

10 minute video, I want to keep two sections from minute 2.00 to 4.00 and 6.00 to 8.00.

How do i do this?

Thanks for your patience

Brian

Expert
Message 8 of 12 (1,801 Views)

Just add the same video clip twice and cut away the first two minutes in the first one, as everything past the fourth minute and on the second instance, cut away everything to the 6th minute and everything past the 8th minute.
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 12 (1,590 Views)

Thanks Nic,
That means I have to learn how to add the sections back together again! But I think I can see my way through that.
Now that it is wet and raining and going riding is not so much fun, I might get a bit more consistent at working on this!
Cheers
Brian
Rookie
Message 10 of 12 (191 Views)

Wow - is there any update on this?

I see this is several months old...and wonder if there is any "fix".

I just got my Sony action cam - and Im used to using either Windows MMaker or GoPro SW.

If this is really the case to edit your movie clip - I will dump this and use other SW. In my case I have a 25+ min video and want to make 50+ "trims" to get it down to ~3-4 mins....what I see described is crazy.

In the past (other SW) you simply select start/end (in/out) direct in the clip and select to remove that section, then move onto next part needed to remove!

Looked like the Action Cam SW has some nice features, but not to actually do basic editing, unless someone tells me differently I will switch to another SW

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook