Has anyone checked whether it is possible to

- start the X3000 recording... the battery runs down a bit

- apply USB power

- the battery recharges

- remove USB power

- the battery discharges

- reapply USB power

- the battery recharges

On the 1000V which I have this doesn't work. It starts to use USB power only if it is connected up already when recording is started.

I am planning on using the X3000 in an application where it is recording for say 10hrs but where external power may be intermittent.

Expert
Message 2 of 6 (501 Views)

Re: Charging the X3000 during recording

[ Edited ]

If I decide to perform this test, would written proof be enough, or do you require detailed video documentation (in which case I wouldn't do it)?

EDIT: For the written proof - it works. The camera will charge (indicated by the "power plug"-icon beneath the battery bar WHICH IS NOT MENTIONED IN THE MANUAL!!!). 

You can hot-plug the cable during the camera is on/recording.

I am using the EC technology 22400mAh power bank https://www.amazon.co.uk/EC-Technology-22400mAh-Flashlight-Smartphones/dp/B00GBTX1S2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_... and I use port with 2A output.

Expert
Message 3 of 6 (495 Views)

That's great - many thanks.

Expert
Message 4 of 6 (492 Views)

You're welcome Peter Smiley Happy
Expert
Message 5 of 6 (331 Views)

I have just re-tested the X1000V camera in this situation and confirm my earlier result that it will draw external power during recording but will not charge the battery during recording.

So if e.g. you start a recording with the battery half charged, and run it for say 10hrs, then remove the power cable, the battery will still be half charged. Actually less than half... interestingly!

It is not a test one can do quickly. Merely seeing the battery icon disappear during the recording (when the power cable is connected) doesn't mean the battery is being charged!

It is interesting that they fixed this on the X3000, because it requires a more powerful power supply to be built-in.

The X1000V draws 0.46A from USB in most "running" states. This would have been chosen to enable it to be powered from standard old USB. Any higher current - e.g. the ability to charge the battery during recording - needs the assumption of a computer with USB3 - or a USB charger.

Can anyone confirm what USB current the X3000 draws during recording, with the battery partially discharged?

Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 6 (314 Views)

I sadly don't own a device to measure the Amps.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook