Welcome to the Community!

Action Cam

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 15 (2,649 Views)

FDR-X3000 resolution problems

I purchased the FDR-X3000 and I find that the resolution is low. I find that there is always video noise or this white hazy effect. I mosty see this anytime I shoot indoors even with good lighting. I returned it and repurchased thinking maybe it was a defective model but the same thing is occuring. I have tried shooting in 4K 30fps, 1080p 60fps with no digital zoom and playing around with different ISO and nothing seems to fix this. I love the balanced optical steadyshot but just not sure what is going on with the image quality. is anyone else having this problem? otherwise I may return and try the Gopro hero 5 black

Expert
Message 2 of 15 (2,632 Views)

Re: FDR-X3000 resolution problems

Here is the thing - the light indoors is very poor, unless you have specialized video lights (which i assume you don't have).

Having "good lighting" for your eyes can still be far away from what a camera sensor needs.

The sensor inside the camera is the best sensor of this size for low light conditions on the market - so you will only get a worse result with another camera.

Go outside and see how the camera behaves in daylight (doesn't matter how the weather is).

Also there are no ISO settings on the camera, you can only adjust the EV value manually.

It would also help, if you could upload a video example to YouTube/Vimeo (even unlisted) and post it here, so we can identify the exact issue you are having.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 15 (2,627 Views)

Thanks for your response, I do understand that it is a good sensor for a camera this size but I also own the Kodak Zi12 which is 4 years old and the highest resolution is 1080/60 and the image quality is better. I will try and upload a vid. But I feel something is definitely off.
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 15 (2,559 Views)

I purchased a GoPro 5 Black and was appaled by the low light performance. It looked nearly unusable recording me sitting in my car outside on a heavy overcast day. The X3000 is way better, if you think your low light performance is bad now, you havne't seen the hero 5 yet.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 15 (2,409 Views)

I'm having the same problem with my FDRX3000R set. The picture quality looks terrible in all light environments. Bright or night, inside or outside. Of course it looks a bit better in ideally lit environments by a small degree, but still very noisy. Did all the same fiddling and reset the camera, but the image quality persists in being abysmally bad. I was thinking of returning it for another unit, but its a huge hassle because I'm traveling right now and just assumed it was going to work when I got it!

Expert
Message 6 of 15 (2,406 Views)

How about a short video sample? You could upload one to YouTube.

If you are only filming indoors, you will NEVER have good lighting conditions, except you are filming inside a studio with special spots and lights.

For indoor use you should never go above 30fps and for outdoor use you should adjust the framerate according to the conditions to get a clear image.
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 15 (2,295 Views)

Here are some video samples. The problem is especially noticeable when the video is stopped. Seemingly all fine detail is just a pixelated blur. This is more evident on some videos than others but noticeable on all. Regardless of whether its shooting indoors or outdoors, this is a 4k camera that looks like it's a 5 year old 720p camera. My previous gopros shot at much higher quality and the sample vids I've seen on youtube in similar conditions of this camera look excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stvNZfTBad4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-50N-11800

Any input would be appreciated.

Expert
Message 8 of 15 (2,278 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi there chaepchicken,

thank you really much for providing the sample clips, it helps a lot to identify the issue.

From what I see you used the case (which you don't need to use at all when you are filming outside the water, since the camera can take rain, fog, mud etc.). I am quite sure all the videos you have seen on YouTube were shot without the case on.

You only need the case, when you either have flowing water (shower, waterfall...) or want to submerge it. Then it will break without the case.

The first clip was filmed in a rather bad lit area.

Also in both clips it looks to me, like some part of the optics (the lens of the camera itself, the inner part of the cases door or the outer part of the door) is dirty (in terms of fingerprints on the lens or other "smears").

It might as well be fogged up (which can happen when the "trapped" humidity inside the case condensates trough a temperatur change outside the case.

You can either get an anti-fog insert or simply use the camera without the case as I said.

Also using the camera without the case will reduce the glare (light bouncing between the case-lens and the camera-lens) which makes the video look dull and washed out.

Another benefit of not using the case is that you can profit from the good microphones the camera has.

Would you please look into that and reply back, if that solved your issue?

- Nic

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 15 (2,020 Views)

Hi, I have the same issues.

Here a footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gcwYdD9Bps

I am really annoyed, since my iPhone 6s takes better videos then the Sony. Even the light conditions are worst. I can only think that there is an issue with the autofocus. Should this be the real video quality, then I am not sure why people should by this cam. Just film with your cellphone instead :-(

Has someone in the meanwhile a solution?

Expert
Message 10 of 15 (2,011 Views)

The camera does not focus, it has a fixed focus lens just like every other actioncam.

To me it looks, like you either set up a smaller field of view or accidentaly zoomed in with the digital zoom of the camera.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook