Welcome to the Community!

Action Cam

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 1 of 17 (1,691 Views)

FDR-X3000R stops recording randomly

My FDR-X3000R stops recording randomly, powers off, shows a few icons, and then powers back on.  The camera used to work great for the past 3 months, but now it stops recording and power cycles randomly.

I have the camera mounted to my motorcycle helmet with the Sony helmet adhesive kit.  I sometimes use the waterproof housing, but not always.

From day one the recordings & still images are not quite in focus.  I have a Sony A99 and A77 and I know how to shoot videos/images.  I see on this Blog that others also have a focus issue.

So far I have tried:

• Using 2 different new Sony batteries,
  • Using the waterproof case,
  • Not using the water proof case,
  • Using a new & formatted micro SD memory card (SanDisk Extreme 128GB SDXC),
  • Using a new & formatted micro SD memory card (Monster Digital SDHC Class 10 UHS-1),
  • I have reset the camera several times,
  • I have tried all different recording settings,
  • Not using the Live View Remote,
  • Using the Live View Remote,
  • Using an external power source,
  • I have tried recording with just the camera resting on top of my counter, and
  • I have tried standing on one foot.

The ambient temperature outside has been around 65 degrees… so ambient temperature is not an issue.

One time the camera did keep recording past 12 minutes.  I thought the camera was good, but when I picked up the camera to check it, I notice the camera was really hot.  I recorded the bottom surface temperature with my Fluke 52II Thermometer (camera still recording), and that temperature was 122.3.  The camera was resting on the counter and my house temperature was 71 degrees.  The camera’s setting was @ 4K 30p.

Here is a video of my issue of stopping during a recording.

Regarding the focus issue, I have tried many different settings and different ambient lights (day & evening) for both recording & still images.  Nothing improves or resolves the poor focus issue.  It is just a little out of focus, and the out of focus is constant across the lens.  But now the camera will not record for as long as I want.

Expert
Message 2 of 17 (1,690 Views)

Re: FDR-X3000R stops recording randomly

[ Edited ]

The video-text thingy is really hard to read, since it only gets feed to the viewer in bites, instead of having all the info in a seperate text (maybe here or in the videos description).

It would be a lot easier to have the same text here to quote from and share my thoughts on each point.

From the video it looks like the battery is lose, meaning one or more contacts in the battery-compartment lose contact when the cam is shaken.

More likely though is a bad connection inside the camera or a slack joint - at a point, where you personally can't reach it.

You are the first person from my knowledge who has this or even a similar problem with the X3000.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 17 (1,682 Views)

I did a search on this site for people with similar issues like mine.  I found many posts by people that said their cameras would stop recording and others had focus issues too.  

I guess the "Power/Connection" and "Focus" issues with the prior cameras were not totally resolved when Sony designed and built the new FDR-X3000R.  What a shame if they did not.

I will contact Sony's warranty department for service and or an exchange for my camera. The vendor that I purchased the camera from will not exchange my camera because I have had the camera 30+ days.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 17 (1,680 Views)

Previous cameras - yes, they had a different mechanism regarding the battery.

The design of the AS50, AS300 and X3000 is different!

I was not refering to the focus issue - you are right in that aspect - you are not the first person with an out-of focus lens with the X3000.
Apprentice
Message 5 of 17 (1,674 Views)

Thank you for your input and comments.
Apprentice
Message 6 of 17 (1,464 Views)

The camera is now at Precision Camera (Sony's authorized service center). I'll post up what repair(s) were done and how the "repaired" camera functions/operates.
Apprentice
Message 7 of 17 (1,333 Views)

The camera was received at the service center on 4-19-17.

Today, I got a call with the status of the camera's repair. They have ordered the entire main board assembly.

With the time to get the ordered part and the time to repair the camera... I was told the camera should ship out on 6-2-17.

That means, with shipping time, I should have the camera back at my house after 51 days. Ugh!!!

That is poor customer service for a new camera!

Just shy of two months for a repair! Unacceptable!
Apprentice
Message 8 of 17 (1,059 Views)

[ Edited ]

I got my camera back after 31 days of being in the repair shop.  I did call several times to try and convince the Repair Shop to expedite my repair or to authorize Sony to give me an exchange.  Had I not called, the repair time would have been longer because I found out someone had overlooked my ticket/camera.

On my Repair Ticket, the Explanations of Repairs says:

Main Flex Circuit and CPU Repair

Recleaned Internal Optical system

Parts Used:

Complete PC Board (SERVICE) 345

The Camera does not shut off randomly as it did prior to the repair.

The focus was slightly improved.  The focus still has issues at times, but Sony will not do anything about it. 

The Camera does not get as hot, but it does get to about 25+ degrees above ambient temp.  I think that is still too hot, but Sony will not do anything about it.

All of the repairs were covered under the Sony Warranty.

I do wonder if my camera's issues are going to be common issues with the FDR-X3000 camera.

Apprentice
Message 9 of 17 (1,044 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well, CRUD!

I used the camera today (Saturday evening) installed my helmet mount.  I ride a 1,000 street motorcycle, for what it matters.  Smooth roads, little to no wind today.

Durning my very first ride, the camera shut off during recording just shortly after the recording started.

My first and main issue was not resolved.

If I start recording with the camera, and I slightly shake my head ( as if knodding NO), the camera will power off.  I even tried to shim the battery, but that did not make any difference.

I will be calling Sony on Monday.  

Expert
Message 10 of 17 (978 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't get, why they try to repair and not give you a new one first - repair your original camera later and then sell it as "refurbished" after some testing (which assumably they didn't do here).

As someone who has a flawless unit, it is sad to see, that someone has problems with this great product.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook