Action Cam

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 11 (890 Views)
Accepted Solution

Multi Camera Control with Play Memories is driving me INSANE.

G'day all, 

I'm hoping someone can save me from losing my mind . . . I CANNOT get MultiCamera control to work! 

Action Cams (I bought 4 based on being told MultiCam control was possible) 

FDR-X3000
HDR-AS50
HDR-AS50
HDR-AS50

PhoneiPhone 6s

iOS: 10.2.1

PlayMemories App Version: 5.8

Method: I followed these instructions carefully about 10 times! 

Results:
I can easily control one camera at a time with the PlayMemories App when in normal WiFi mode . . . My phone sees the camera in wifi settings fairly easily (very temperamental though, my home wifi constantly kicks the ActionCam off).

As soon as I change to MultiCam mode my phone cannot see any of the cameras in WiFi settings. 

I cannot see any external connections connecting to my Personal Hotspot as per the instructions. 

Can anyone here successfully operate multiple ActionCams from their phone? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

I am going to post this in the PlayMemories section as well - I'm not sure which aspect is the problem (the cams or the app).

Thanks in advance.

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 11 (740 Views)

Cannot get Multi Camera control working!

G'day all, 
I'm hoping someone can save me from losing my mind . . . I CANNOT get MultiCamera control to work! 

Action Cams (I bought 4 based on being told MultiCam control was possible) 

FDR-X3000
HDR-AS50
HDR-AS50
HDR-AS50

PhoneiPhone 6s

iOS: 10.2.1

PlayMemories App Version: 5.8

Method: I followed these instructions carefully about 10 times! 

Results:
I can easily control one camera at a time with the PlayMemories App when in normal WiFi mode . . . My phone sees the camera in wifi settings fairly easily (very temperamental though, my home wifi constantly kicks the ActionCam off).

As soon as I change to MultiCam mode my phone cannot see any of the cameras in WiFi settings. 

I cannot see any external connections connecting to my Personal Hotspot as per the instructions. 

Can anyone here successfully operate multiple ActionCams from their phone? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

I am going to post this in the Action Cam section as well - I'm not sure which aspect is the problem (the cams or the app).

Thanks in advance.

Expert
Message 3 of 11 (888 Views)

Re: Multi Camera Control with Play Memories is driving me INSANE.

First off - the cameras create a WiFi hotspot, when in normal WiFi mode (ON).

There you have to connect to the camera via the PlayMemories Mobile App and set the camera up, so it is later capable to connect to your Phones WiFi hotspot, when in "Multi" mode.

You therefore create a mobile hotspot on your phone and let's say use the passwors 12349876 (I think iPhone requires 8 digits/letters as PW).

You note that password you choose down together with the name you choose for your phones hotspot (Let's say "Stevic-HotSpot").

Now you connect to your camera in "normal" WiFi mode.

Go to the settings of your camera and go to the Multi-Camera control settings.

You do that for each camera after the other.

As soon as you primed all the cameras, you activate your phones hotspot, which is now called "Stevic-HotSpot" and has the password "12349876".

You then switch all the cameras you want to connect at once to "Multi" mode.

They will now actively search for your phones hotspot and connect to it.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 11 (883 Views)

Hi Nic, 

Thank you for getting back to me. 

Steps taken as per your instruction (please let me know if and where I've messed this up):

1.) Turn on 1 x HDR-AS50 (turn others off)
2.) Select Normal Wifi Mode

3.) Use QR Scanner in PlayMemories App to Install the ActionCams Profile on the phone

4.) Reload PlayMemories app (prompt says, "When installing is complete, connect to "name of ActionCam" in WiFi phone settings

5.) Go to WiFi settings in phone and select ActionCam 

6.) Reload PlayMemories app and that ActionCam is now controlled by the app

Here's where I'm stuck:

7.) As soon as I change the ActionCam from normal Wifi to MultiCam Wifi, PlayMemories loses connection with the ActionCam
8.) When I go into the ActionCam MultiCam WiFi settings . . . There are two icons one looks like a little ActionCam connecting to a Watch and the other just has a watch and the word "NEW".
9.) If I click option 1 (ActionCam connecting to watch) and go to WiFi in the phone . . . It can no longer see the ActionCam, PlayMemories says "Not connected to a camera". I also have no connections to my Personal Hotspot.
10.) If I click option 2 (watch with "NEW") the camera starts beeping like it is trying to pair with something but nothing happens.

What am I missing?

Expert
Message 5 of 11 (878 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you connect via the QR code, it is the same as going to your phones WiFi settings.

I think you have a misunderstanding on how the cameras WiFi works.

In "ON" mode, THE CAMERA CREATES A WIFI HOTSPOT, just like your home WiFi router does.

Even out in the woods, where you don't have any WiFi hotspot nearby, you will be able to connect to your camera, since the camera itself creates a WiFi access point.

Let's imagine it has a little WiFi router build in (which is the case Smiley Wink )

In "Multi" mode, your camera will on the other hand connect to the WiFi hotspot you created on your phone, so the camera is now the passive part in that connection.

Start by having all the cameras turned off and create your phones hotspot. Give it a name and a password (maybe use the settings I suggested in my first comment for a start).

The phones hotspot requires mobile data to be switched on and it will certainly disconnect you from your Home WiFi.

Now after you have done that, deacitvate your phones hotspot again.

Then connect to your first camera (which one is not important). Connect via QR or via the phones WiFi-menu. As I said, whatever option you choose, you will establish the same connection to your camera.

Keep your camera on and don't switch the WiFi mode!!! (Maybe requires to switch off "Auto-Off".)

Then go into the cameras settings and enter the info of your phones hotspot, which you set up earlier.

If you have done that, switch the camera off.

Repeat that with all the cameras you later want to use in "Multi" mode.

After you are done with all the cameras, switch on your phones WiFi hotspot and turn all the cameras on and switch the WiFi-mode to "Multi".

Then your cameras should connect to your phones hotspot.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 11 (869 Views)

Cool . . . I can follow everything you've said up until the point where you say:

"Go into the cameras settings and enter the info of your phones hotspot"

I cannot see anywhere in the camera's settings to input this kind of information? 

Expert
Message 7 of 11 (865 Views)

Open the PlayMemories Mobile App when connected to a camera, click "MENU" and scroll down to "Multi-Camera-Control" settings.

A notification will pop up. Simply click "Next".

SSID: Enter your phones mobile HotSpot name you created earlier.

Authentification - set it to WPA2 PSK and enter the password you set up earlier.
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 11 (857 Views)

YOU ARE A LEGEND.

I managed to get 2 cameras connected! That's as far as I've ever gotten! Thank you!

It said turn INTERNET SHARING off on my Phone . . . Any idea what that is referring to? 

I will go through this more and report back. I imagine this will be useful to anyone else trying to do the same thing.

Thank you!

Expert
Message 9 of 11 (855 Views)

[ Edited ]

Stevic wrote:

YOU ARE A LEGEND.

I know Smiley Wink Smiley Tongue

Jokes aside, I don't know anything about that message, sorry (I am from Germany and I use Android).

You're welcome Smiley Wink

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 11 (841 Views)

Ha awesome!

I'm going to Frankfurt next week! 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook