Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 21 (2,384 Views)
Accepted Solution

Play Memories Home doesn't find GPS data from Sony Camcorder MicroSD

OK, I upgraded to a new ASUS computer for ease of converting files.  I downloaded the latest Play Memories Home software.  I tried to convert ONE 3 minute file.  The software imported it, it went to multiview OK, but when I tried to get it to overlay the GPS info, it says there isn't any.  I look on the MicroSD...yep, it is certainly there.  I tried a REDO, but the software doesn't even see the file anymore on the microsd.  I check file explorer again...yep, still there.  What is going on.  The software is great "When It Works".  I even uninstalled and reinstalled play memories home...did I just waste my 1300 on a new computer since this software won't work on it?

Expert
Message 2 of 21 (2,363 Views)

Re: Play Memories Home doesn't find GPS data from Sony Camcorder MicroSD

I use Action Cam Movie Creator and it works great with GPS files. Any reason you wouldn't want to use that instead of PlayMemories Home.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 21 (2,358 Views)

Well, the THIRD time I tried, I thought I was getting Action Cam software...but what ACTUALLY downloaded was Play Memories Home.  Doesn't seem reasonable.  I've been using this camcorder AND this software for a few years on 3 different PCs....but I dunno what is happening here. 

Expert
Message 4 of 21 (2,355 Views)

Don't where you were loading it from. But try this site.

http://www.sony.net/Products/actioncam/en-us/support/software/ActionCamMovieCreator.html

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 21 (2,346 Views)

Well, I uninstalled what I had, followed the link, downloaded the software and it is still Play Memories Home that gets loaded.  OH, there is a little file that is a Youtube video of Action Cam advertisement, but...  Gotta say, Sony is right up there with Microsoft as far as being helpful (Big Sarcasm).

Expert
Message 6 of 21 (2,332 Views)

It's been a long time since I downloaded and installed mine. But I vaguely recall it it loads down both. I think Action Cam Movie Creator might use some of the modules from PlayMemories Home. In any case, it is Action Cam Creator that you need to run, though. Did you get an executable for that to run?

Expert
Message 7 of 21 (2,302 Views)

Have you only tried it with a certain set of video files?

Maybe they are broken for some reason and you should try again.

PlayMemories Home is the import software for Sony Cameras of all types and I would highly recommend to only import the files with this software instead of just copying it via USB or a SD card reader.

You usually can download ActionCam Movie creator from inside PMH, even though it is a very bad choice for video editing, since it doesn't use the full hardware capacity of a PC.

Expert
Message 8 of 21 (2,294 Views)

I never use PlayMemories Home, just Action Cam Movie Creator. And it works very well with GPS files and even does 4K vids as well as 4K time lapse. And if I want to use other software (like Vegas or Windows Movie Maker ), I still read it in first with ACMC and then grab the files from there.

Message 9 of 21 (2,269 Views)

Hi tpdavis,

May I ask for the OS of your new computer? And how are you transferring the files? Are you using a USB connection or inserting the card in the slot? Are you manually transferring it and opening them on PlayMemories Home or using PMH to import them? The PlayMemories Home and Action Cam Movie Creator software are only compatible with computers running on Windows and Mac OS. If you're using the software to import the files to the computer, all the data contained in the pictures and videos will also be automatically imported. But if not, you would have to import the GPS data too. The GPS files will be under the PRIVATE folder. You can then add the GPS data to the video through Action Cam Movie Creator. 

IF my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution". Thanks_Mitch

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 21 (2,262 Views)

The computer is a new ASUS UX303UB running Windows 10.  I remove the micro sd card from the camera and insert into the slot on the computer and use Play Memories Home to import into a folder in my video's library.  There is GPS data on the SD since I can see the fle when I look for it using File Explorer.  This is the same process I've used in the past with two other laptops (HP running Windows 8.1 and Dell running Windows 10).  It was only a single file imported.   The ONLY things different was I chose a different file folder for the import than allowing the software to load at its default AND I erased several files (the small formatted movies).  Next Time I'll try allowing the software to use it's default file located in my Pictures library.  Has to be Next Time since I went on with other projects (not having forever to wait).  Truthfully, since I have your attention, Play Memories Home "wants" to do too much in default...importing using WiFi from other computers, control and database ALL media on my PC...ALL I want to do is overlay GPS on a few of the files taken with the Action Cam...If anyone has recommended apps to do just that, I"m all ears since Play Memories isn't my favorite app (takes forever, for example, to create a multi-view with the GPS overlay--even with a pretty powerful processor and SSD).

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook