Action Cam

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 6 (5,668 Views)
Accepted Solution

Sony Action Cam (AS30) interlacing artifacts during progressive recording?

Hi There

Recently purchased a Sony AS30 Action Cam and I am having issues removing interlaced frames. After research this last week I have come to understand what seems to be the Pal/NTSC conundrum... 

I am from a Pal region, but I have also tried recording NTSC to see if that sorts the issue. Tried recording in 30p and 720 30p also. As I understand 1080 60p means that video is recorded progressive (full frame) at 60 FPS? Why would I experience comb effect (mice tooth) while playing back on my pc.

Apprentice
Message 2 of 6 (5,642 Views)

Re: Sony Action Cam (AS30) interlacing artifacts during progressive recording?

TTT

Expert
Message 3 of 6 (5,638 Views)

Good day Riaan,

Could you post the specification of your computer, specially the graphics card and the monitor that you're using. It may have something to do with the computer's overall specification that's why it only delivers interlaced video signal rather than progressive.

Apprentice
Message 4 of 6 (5,627 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply.

I am working on a Lenovo T430

i5-3380M

Intel® HD Graphics 4000

4gb DDR3

14.0-inch HD+ (1600 x 900) LED backlight Anti-Glare Display

The only thing i could think off that would affect video playback would be the reduced resolution (1600x900) as opposed to the video resolution (1920x1080). I have also played the video thru my pc hdmi to my HD LED tv which produces the same interlaced footage on full HD resolution. I have played around with the refresh rates at 50 and 60hz but interlacing seems to be consistant. Footage is high movement from my car windscreen and the interlacing is very noticeable on staight lines moving past the 100 degree view range.

Video Sample

Can you confirm that none of the action cams recording modes record interlaced video, all modes are progressive? 

Apprentice
Message 5 of 6 (5,611 Views)

It would seem that it is in fact the laptop graphics or screen causing the issue... I have ordered a micro hdmi cable to test directly to my hdtv and will report back on my results.

Thanks for your answer, much appreciated.

Expert
Message 6 of 6 (5,593 Views)

Hi there Riaan,

Checking all the recording mode the Action Cam has, I was able to verify that all setting uses progressive recording. Your laptop should be able to play the videos without interlacing, please try using Playmemories Home and check if the video will playback in progressive format. Looking forward to hearing the results with the HDTV as well.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook