Welcome to the Community!

Action Cam

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert
Message 1 of 5 (1,011 Views)

Sony Action cams during the Eclipse 8/21

I've had many cameos by the sun on my action cam - so if I was to use it in the same manner during the eclipse - it shouldn't suffer any damage?

The sun usually appears as a more than large bright spot, but hasn't caused any issues with the action cam as of yet.

I'm guessing if I used it the same way during the eclipse - it'll be just fine?   As I'm not static and moving around.

Or is the focal length not an issue with these cameras and nothing will happen? 

Is this something I should dedicate one of my action cams to science and just point one of them at the sky and get whatever blob happens?

Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 5 (989 Views)

Re: Sony Action cams during the Eclipse 8/21

I did multiple timelapses with clear blue sky and the sun in frame - no damage yet.
Expert
Message 3 of 5 (838 Views)

I'm guessing my Sony action cams with no filter will probably be fine. 

I am diverging here - but I think it might be possible with RX100 model.

I took some practice shots (and even tried 960fps pan of Sun to see what would happen) this past weekend.

I looked at lcd screen, line up image, and took a shot.

Image below: Sony RX100V, ND filter on, ISO 80, 1/6400 sec, f2/2, 9mm

The plane was not seen until reviewing photo.  Clouds are visibile.

1/16000 made everything else darker - but not totally. I could see plane off to the right.  post-Zoom in on sun reveals same brightness.

1/32000 made everything dark except the sun.  post-Zoom in on sun reveals same brightness.

I have no idea if this will translate into a disc image with these settings. One can not help but to think it would?

And I might not be able to use my RX100V in this experiment - it will be partly cloudy which probably means Severe Thunderstorms considering how wrong the Weather Channel is always in predicting weather, even up to the last second. 

Spoiler
Cat Frustrated

DSC01202-sun2.jpg

Expert
Message 4 of 5 (807 Views)

Can you close the aperture even more on your RX100?
Expert
Message 5 of 5 (745 Views)

IamNic wrote:
Can you close the aperture even more on your RX100?

Probabably - but I haven't tried to figure that out yet. 

The eclipse turned out okay.  I was able to borrow a filter during the event and got some hand held filtered shots, and also took some unfiltered shots.

The unfiltered shots had a lot less moon, as the sun is definitely overpowering - but there was a cookie missing still.  

With the filter on- I had to go back to auto ISO.  The only thing I regret not doing was changing the white balance.  I had it on daylight WB the whole time.

Camera appears fine.  I only did hand held and didn't tripod it/keep it pointed at the sun for more than a few seconds.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook