Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 8 (2,776 Views)
Accepted Solution

Sony FDR X3000 and plug in power for mic

Does the somy fdr x3000 have plug in power for and external microphone? The rode mic I was looking at gets powered by the 3.5 mm microphone input, so before I buy it was wondering if it would work with this camera.

Thanks
Expert
Message 2 of 8 (2,748 Views)

Re: Sony FDR X3000 and plug in power for mic

Yes, the camera has a 3.5mm mic jack in the back.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 8 (2,699 Views)

Ya but apparently, according to b & h, that it won't power an external microphone. Any idea what's the facts?
Expert
Message 4 of 8 (2,684 Views)

I have a lav mic and an ear mic working.

For bigger mics I am not sure, if the camera provides enough power.

My active shotgun mic does work too (it uses an AA battery).
Expert
Message 5 of 8 (2,672 Views)

There are two concepts here which often get confused. From the internet:

Phantom power is used to power up the electronic preamp (also called an impedance converter) for professional condenser microphones. It is 11 to 52 volts of dc power that rides on the same wires as the balanced audio signal.

Plug in power is typically 5 volts of dc used to power up the JFET of inexpensive condenser microphones. The voltage can be on a separate conductor from the audio or ride on the same conductor as the audio.

The Sony action cams are exceedingly unlikely to have the first one (because of the extra circuitry required to generate the higher voltage) but they could have the second one, and will need to have it if the cam is to work with any mike that contains a pre-amp but doesn't contain a battery.

Also, next to the 3.5mm mike socket there is a very small test saying PLUG IN POWER. So there you have it.

Unfortunately I don't have any mike to test it with.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 8 (2,143 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, external 3.5mm mics utilizing plug-in power work with the FDR X3000. Beware though, the mic input is very hot, meaning you will peak the audio very easily unless you get a lav that lets you dial down the input big time. 

Sony needs to fix this.  I have multiple lavs and Sony action cameras are the only cameras I have with the issue. I also have the x1000V.  Same issue.

Expert
Message 7 of 8 (1,982 Views)

[ Edited ]

In the past I have used a mike preamp (and various mikes) from Sound Professionals in the USA. Super kit. 

If you just want to reduce the signal level you can do it with resistors. However I would expect a retail-market camera to have AGC (automatic gain control) which will try to defeat this. One of the factors which divide the "consumer" camcorder market from the "prosumer" camcorder market is the manual audio level adjustment Smiley Happy Nobody doing any kind of serious audio is going to be using AGC.

Rookie
Message 8 of 8 (1,642 Views)

I purchased a Rode Lav and Audio technic lav, 

powered amp mic works, but buzzes.

non powered mic doesn't work at all

Ended up with a stereo lav mic and works a treat.

There's a few videos on you tube about the same thing with recommendations

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook