Action Cam

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 7 (639 Views)

Video Settings Explained for a NOOB!?

G'day All, 

I know the old adage RTFM . . . but the manual that came with my cameras tells me nothing!

I'm hoping someone on here is an absolute gun and can give me the low down or direct me to a clear source (clearer than the manual) regarding all of the video settings . . . explained in language ignorant ActionCam/Video people like me can understand . . . 

Here some questions I have re: video settings:

1.) I get 1080 is the resolution and I think 60p means 60 frames per second? What does 50m mean? 50mb? I don't understand this setting?

2.) I get that "XAVCS 4k" is 4k . . . What does XAVCS mean? Is that a codec or something? Also what is the difference between HD and mp4? Are the Mp4 not HD? HD is just 1920x1080 screen size resolution, isn't it?

3.) I understand that Act and Std have something to do with stabilisation but what is the difference between the two? What do those words stand for?

4.) W = Wide, M = Medium, N = Narrow? (when not in 4k mode)

5.) Are there any disadvantages to using digital zoom? e.g. the quality ******? I want to mount this 4k FDR-X3000 at the mixing desk and zoom in on the stage . . . Will autofocus be a problem with the crowd and drastically changing lights do you think? Are these cams better used within a certain distance from the subject?

6.) I literally have no idea what AWB, WB K, WB and SET mean? 

In ActionCam Settings . . .

1.) On page 1 bottom right there is an icon that looks a bit like a satelite . . . What is that all about?

2.) On page 2 second on the left . . . What is TC/VB: DISP, TC Preset, TC Reset, TC Format, TC Run, TC Make, VB Preset, VB Reset, VB T.Rec mean? What do all of those settings do?

3.) On page 2 bottom left . . . What is that? Looks like the telephone booth from the Twighlight Zone.

4.) What do the HDMI settings do? RESOL, 60p/24p, TC/VB Out . . . I assume this has to do with the playback when plugging a HDMI cable directly into a TV or something? Any recommended settings?

5.) Page 2 second on the right . . . BGM with two musical notes . . . What is this?

6.) Page 2 bottom right . . . USB charge on and off? Wouldn't you always want to charge via USB? Is that what this setting is?

7.) Page 3 top left . . . Music note and ON . . . I presume that is mic on? There's a limit option and off . . . Is this for audio recording? Anyone recommend the limiter? I will be using these cams on tour . . . Would it be good to loud music?

8.) Page 3 bottom left . . . What is this setting? Looks like a siren.

9.) Page 3 top right . . . Rec OFF or Rec ON . . . Don't get it?

The rest makes sense to me I think!?

I'll be using these cameras in 3 primary ways:

1.) 4 x Cameras setup at gigs (band is Twelve Foot Ninja)
2.) 1 x 4k Camera for interview/Vlog type stuff
3.) 4 x Cameras setup for tutorial videos and maybe weird skits

I know this is an epic ask . . . but if there are folks reading this who know what all this s#$t means like the back of their hand and wouldn't mind saving me a LOT of time, I would be very grateful and can send you some band merch for your trouble. 

Regards, 

Stevic

Expert
Message 2 of 7 (624 Views)

Re: Video Settings Explained for a NOOB!?

[ Edited ]

1) 50M meand 50Mbit/s (6.25 MB/s), it is the bitrate, at which the camera writes the video to your SD-Card.

2) XAVC-S is a special codec, which ensures 4K footage to be stored efficiently at good quality. It is essentially a special MP4 container.

The difference between HD and MP4 is the bitrate, HD is 50Mbit/s or more, MP4 is 28Mbit/s. All in all your video will always look better when using HD.

3) Act: Optical stabilization with a little bit of electronic stabilization on top = Ultra smooth

Std: Just the optical stabilization = A little less smooth, but maybe more natural, depends on your taste

4) Yes

5) Better use the camera within a certain distance, digital zoom is always worse than on other cameras. Yet it is good for what it is on these cams.

If you have the right editing software, you can always zoom in in post production.

If you film a stage, just put the camera in front of the subject/s, since the 170° FOV (W) will have you covered.

6) AWB = Auto White Balance 

WK K = Set the Kelvin temperature manually

Set = Point the camera towards something which is white and the camera will lock to that white balance it measures that moment

(I am sure though this info can be found in the manual)

1)

GPS

2) Has something to do with the time code thing, never used it.

3) Them manual should help you, don't have the camera with me atm.

4) Yes 1080p 60 if your TV supports that.

5) Volume of the sound of the camera (again, don't have the camera with me), could also be te more minimalistic audio-tone set.

6) No, it means the charge while recording. Some people want to bypass the battery completly while doing that.

7) Could be navigation tones when pressing buttons or the audio feedback when starting/stopping a recording

8) Recording light settings, you have 3 LEDs on the camera, you can switch some of them/all off to make the camera less visible in a multi camera setup.

9) If it is on, your camera can be switched on and start recording immediately, when you press the REC-Button, when it's switched off.

Stevic wrote:

I know this is an epic ask . . . but if there are folks reading this who know what all this s#$t means like the back of their hand and wouldn't mind saving me a LOT of time, I would be very grateful and can send you some band merch for your trouble. 

I have you covered Stevic Smiley Wink

If you have any followup questions - just tell me Smiley Wink

- Nic

Apprentice
Message 3 of 7 (612 Views)

> 5.) Are there any disadvantages to using digital zoom? e.g. the quality ******?
That's that. And by the way, this camera is not meant to be far from your subject, with its immense wide angle
> 6.) I literally have no idea what AWB, WB K, WB and SET mean? 
That's White Balance. Your eyes correct colors considering the color of light (yellow for old-school light bulb, white sun, or blueish shadows) automatically. The camera needs to figure the "neutral" by itself. Especially if you are going to shoot live events with color lights, do set the camera to a fixed white balance, else it will hunt for white all the time. Try 6500K (sun) or about 3800K (incadescent) and look what seems to give better result
> 2.) On page 2 second on the left . . . What is TC/VB: DISP, TC Preset, TC Reset, TC Format, TC Run, TC Make, VB Preset, VB Reset, VB T.Rec mean? What do all of those settings do?
It's TC and UB. TC stands for timecode. In the video stream, besides the actual video, the camera saves for each frame a timecode. It's the value of the internal clock specific to the video and allowing to identify the specific frame. It is really useful if you later need to sync videos from different cameras.
There are a few options:
A) start the timecode at 0 with each clip recorded. Not really useful, as this much any dumb editor can figure out afterwards (count frames from start)
B) start the timecode at 0, stop it when camera stops, keep going with next clip recorded. Better, because you can easily sort clips in recorded order even if you rename the files later.
C) start the timecode at 0 (or any value you like) and keep going all the time, even if recording stops. This is cool if you have multiple cameras, because if you sync the timecodes once (either on camera before recording, or afterwards on first clip taken) you can use the timecode to identify multiple takes of same point in real time
UB = user bit. This is a piece of data (a few bytes) that you can freely define. You can use it to identify cameras for example - just give each one a different UB value, it gets saved in the video data just like TC does. The camera can also automatically save time of day in the UB field if you like.

> 3.) On page 2 bottom left . . . What is that? Looks like the telephone booth from the Twighlight Zone.
Infrared remote receiver. I don't know if the IR RC has been released yet.
> 6.) Page 2 bottom right . . . USB charge on and off? Wouldn't you always want to charge via USB? 
If eg. you connect the camera to a laptop with a weak USB port or poor cable, or a phone that can't deliver charging current, it will keep dropping the connection. You can try disabling charging over USB then and it should connect better.
regards,
Marek
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 7 (432 Views)

This is my first gig video with the gear (accidently formated one additional camera on stage left)

I've set all of the cameras now to shoot:

White Balance: Auto WB
Scene Selection: Normal
Colour Setting: Vivid
Zoom Setting: Off: Digital Zoom
Recording Mode: HQ
Movie Format: MP4
Steady Shot: Active
Angle Setting: Wide (on the FDRX3000)
One Touch Recording: Off
Power Save: Off

Is that how you guys would set it? Considering this is only for HD YouTube videos?

Many thanks!
-Stevic

Expert
Message 5 of 7 (427 Views)

Hi Stevic,

since the cameras are completly solid mounted, you can even change the SteadyShot to "OFF".

Aside from that, it is ok, as long as you are satisfied with the video quality. If not, then select XAVC-S instead of "just" MP4 next time.

It is always awesome to see the cameras used in such a professional setup. Great editing btw Smiley Happy
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 7 (177 Views)

I'm baaaaack! Ha ha!

These questions are hopefully easier Smiley Happy although I searched the net extensively and couldn't find an answer so perhaps they're not!?

1.) I have a Rode VideoMic which sounds great with the FDRX3000...but I cannot find a bracket, mount or case that exists where I can have the two mounted together?

2.) I think the audio from all of my cams (HDRAS50 as well) would be more useable if they weren't in such an enclosed case...I've seen an older model "Skelton case" for Sony action cams but my models don't appear to be compatible...is the only option either fully enclosed, water proof case or nothing? Or is there another option you guys are aware of?

Should I have started another thread?
Thanks for your time!
Stevic
Expert
Message 7 of 7 (159 Views)

1.  Somethign like this could solve your issue - if your mic doesn't have a hot shoe mount, but a quarter inch thread in the bottom of its shock mount - you can get a part like this additionally:

Original Sony Action Cam part

Third party part

2. The skeleton cases only reason for existance was, that the older camera models didn't have a thread directly on the body and had to be mounted with the case. 

Newer models (including the AS50) have a thread directly on the camera itself, so no need for the skeleton case.

I hoppe that answers your questions.

- Nic

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook