Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert
Message 11 of 17 (330 Views)

Re: X3000 stabilisation / jello effect

peterh337 wrote:

OK, will re-test in about a week.

The only problem is that only the widest viewing angle is then available and it is way too wide. I was using the stabilisation mode to reduce the FOV to something reasonable. But at 4K I will have plenty of pixels to chuck away in the video editor to bring the angle down a bit...

Yup, that is why I didn't go for the X3000, 4K is the same as with my X1000. And the stabilization really only benefits more abrupt movements like walking or mountain biking, not vibration.

So I just went for the AS50 to get the bluetooth power off/on benefits, and being able to shoot narrow view with stabilization off (can't do that with the X1000 or AZ1). Also the lens is the same as my other action cams so can use my current lens protectors as well as my ND and polarizer filter clip-ons.

Expert
Message 12 of 17 (326 Views)

"And the stabilization really only benefits more abrupt movements like walking or mountain biking, not vibration."

I do actually see the X1000's stabilisation working quite a bit during turbulence. I can tell because a bit of the wing shows in the corner and that bit moves around quite a bit.

The other reasons I went for the X3000 were

1) It is in theory handy to have extra pixels if doing lens correction

2) The flat faceplate of the waterproof housing enables an ice protection modification

but my tests so far suggest that 30fps is too big a price to pay for any pixel gain.

The BT power on/off and the WIFI don't work if external power is applied via USB - see my other thread. It probably doesn't bother you but it is relevant in my application.

I hope the X3000 is no worse than the X1000 in 1080P 50/60fps! I am not convinced...

Expert
Message 13 of 17 (323 Views)

I haven't yet had the time to verify the BT-Power on/off with USB power being applied - that's why I didn't have replied anything to this comment except for that I understood what you were trying to say when you made that typo.

Vibrations are an issue for every camera, that is why my e.g. my drone has a specialized rubber-bumper between the drones body and the cameras gimbal.

I assume the stabilization is not the problem at all, rather there is probably a resonance between your planes engine/prop and the part of the plane the camera is mounted to/the camera mount itself.
Expert
Message 14 of 17 (314 Views)

That, or buffet from the airflow.

The previous (X1000 based) camera module didn't have any of this, but then the stabilisation might have removed it. The optical stabilisation of the X3000 evidently doesn't.

Expert
Message 15 of 17 (178 Views)

I can confirm that disabling stabilisation totally (which in 4K mode just removes the optical stabilisation, as the software stabilisation is not available anyway) does remove the jello effect.

It's strange... in 1080 mode, the X3000 and the X1000 never show any jello in my application.

I wonder if there is something funny with the X3000's optical stabilisation e.g. it is extremely sensitive to any vibration conducted through the airframe.

The increase in the field of view when I disable stabilisation in the 4K mode is very visible - of the order of 5% extra width. It's OK because I render to 1080P anyway and will still be doing lens correction so there is a crop operation.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 16 of 17 (151 Views)

After all this, it looks like the only advantages of the X3000 over the X1000, for usage where there is any vibration, are

- it can use a 256GB SD card

- it has less optical distortion

- it can do 1080 at 120fps which is better for slow motion stuff (up to 4x slowdown)

Due to the optical stabilisation being useless (due to jello) that is all I can think of.

Expert
Message 17 of 17 (146 Views)

[ Edited ]

peterh337 wrote:

After all this, it looks like the only advantages of the X3000 over the X1000, for usage where there is any vibration, are

- it can use a 256GB SD card

- it has less optical distortion

- it can do 1080 at 120fps which is better for slow motion stuff (up to 4x slowdown)

Due to the optical stabilisation being useless (due to jello) that is all I can think of.

You didn't mention the bluetooth on/off advantage, but I agree with the rest. That's why I bought the AS50 instead, a lot cheaper and gave me the advantages (like bluetooth) I wanted. Also can shoot in standard and narrow angle without stabilization. And with the lens being the same as my other action cams, my protectors and filters (ND, polarizer) etc all still fit.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook