Welcome to the Community!

Alpha NEX Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 10 (4,465 Views)

Can't enable Clear Image Zoom problem with the A7S

I can't seem to enable the Clear Image Zoom feature (or Digital Zoom for that matter) on the A7S since I've upgraded to FW 3.10. Getting a "This function is currently disabled". Are there any ideas what settings might be conflicting?

Message 2 of 10 (4,433 Views)

Re: Can't enable Clear Image Zoom problem with the A7S

Hi iandcameron,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

1. Please turn on the camera and set it to either S, P, A or M
  2. Press menu then go to Gear Icon number 3 and change Zoom Setting to Digital Zoom or Clear Image Zoom
  3. Then press menu and go to Camera Icon number 5 and highlight zoom
  4. You can then adjust the zoom now using the scroll dial at the back.

For further assistance regarding your concern, We kindly recommend visiting our Sony Global Web site for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution".

Best regards,
Zander

Rookie
Message 3 of 10 (4,185 Views)

zoom function on a7s ii is greyed out. Won't let me access it 

trying to use clear image zoom.

have tried all settings

any advice

thanks 

Message 4 of 10 (4,168 Views)

Hi Kieran44,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

The zoom function would depend on the lens you're using with the camera. The Clear Image Zoom will be activated once you've reached the maximum optical zoom range of the lens. The zoom is only compatible with zoom lenses. If you're using prime lenses, the zoom will be grayed out. This is normal function for the camera. 

For further assistance, we recommend contacting the Sony Support Center in your region. Please visit our Sony Global Web site for information at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution". Thanks_Mitch

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 10 (4,109 Views)

Heads up to anyone using this - I just spent two hours trying to figure out why my "Zoom" option seemed to be randomly greyed out. Tried dozens of permutations until I figured it must have something to do with the Metabones adapter. Turns out the Metabones can be in one of two modes - advanced, or green. I think you need it to be in green for Zoom to work - I must have accidentally changed it?

To switch between modes with the Mark 4 detach the lens, hold the button on the Metabones, turn the camera on (yes, with no lens), wait for it to finish booting, attach a lens (still holding the Metabones button), wait a second or two, then turn the camera off - NOW finally release the button. This should switch you to the other mode and re-enable Zoom mode.

Another way to tell which mode you're in seems to be if you can or cannot use auto focus (if AF is switched on the lens). I also thought it had something to do with if you could hear the aperture changing, it should be silent in green mode, but after rebooting the camera a few times the shutter sound came back - but AF kept working. No idea what's going on, but at least zoom works again.

As for Mitch's response below - no idea what he's talking about. I can enable zoom both on non-zoom, and zoom lenses, and in the zoom lens case it does not have to be at maximum zoom. This isn't the first time I've seen an official Sony rep come into a forum and post something that makes it clear the person doesn't know what they're talking about. Jeez.
Rookie
Message 6 of 10 (3,494 Views)

"The zoom is only compatible with zoom lenses"

Not true. I have clear image zoom on my a6300 + 35 1.8 oss lens

Also can enable clear image zoom + digital zoom

Apprentice
Message 7 of 10 (3,222 Views)

I just purchased a Sony 70-200 F4 for us on a a6500. Is the only way to use Clear Image Zoom after it is set is to go into the Menu and select zoom from there? On other sony lenes as the 18-105 I will set clear image zoom and then zoom in with the lens. A bar appears in the window showing when I've reached the 105mm limet and the bar continues to show how much more I'm zooming with Clear Image.....don't have to go into the Menu and select zoom. Much better this way. Why can't I do that with the 18-105 and not the 70-200?

Expert
Message 8 of 10 (3,141 Views)

are you sure youre shooting jpg? In RAW shooting this feature is usually not available, like so many cool features are jpg only.

Apprentice
Message 9 of 10 (3,137 Views)

Yes set to jpg. I wanted to use clear Image Zoom without having to enter Menu-->Zoom. I just solved it by setting the right side dial from ISO to Zoom. Now I press there with my thumb to get Zoom.
Rookie
Message 10 of 10 (905 Views)

Thanks for this post, Kukov. I wouldn't have figured that solution out in a million years.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook