Welcome to the Community!

Alpha NEX Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 7 (9,131 Views)

Cannot connect a6000 to iphone

I recently acquired a Sony a6000 camera, hoping I could easily transfer photos from the camera to my iphone. Of course, as with all things electronic, simply following the supplied instructions is apparently not good enough. It is not possible for the most famous consumer electronics brand to make things work easily.

According to the instructions, it should be easy.

1. Install playmemories on the iphone. check

2. select image on camera to be sent

2a. select image

2b. select menu - (wireless icon) - send to smartphone - select on this device- this image

2c use SSID and password displayed on screen

2d go to smartphone, go to settings, wifi, select SSED, enter password.

The SSID on smartphone now has check mark next it.

Screen on camera says "connecting", and circle of dots goes round and round....

that's it... nothing else happens...

Obviously camera cannot connect to phone.

And yes, I tried resetting network settings

I verified correct data and time on the camera

I've googled and searched and can't get it to work.

Any help appreciated.

Message 2 of 7 (9,079 Views)

Re: Cannot connect a6000 to iphone

Hi eps0mu0,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

We can feel the frustration this has caused you. Let me see if I can help. Based on the steps you enumerated on how you're connecting the camera to the smartphone, you have followed the correct procedure up to the point that the camera displays the "Connecting" message. After this step, please exit the Wireless settings page on your smartphone and open PlayMemories Mobile app. The images will automatically be copied into the smartphone. 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution". Thanks_Mitch

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 7 (9,062 Views)

Mitch,

Thanks for the help, but this did not work.

When opening the playmemories app, the camera screen remained at "connecting", and nothing happened.

Is there a button inside the app that I need to click on?

What about my iphone settings? One thing I notice is that when I connect th phone to the camera, even though the camera id has a check mark next to it in the wifi network connection part of "settings", the little wifi icon in the top left of the iphone does not come on. For example, when the phone is connected to my home wifi network, or any other wifi network, you see the wifi icon (three nested 30degree circle segments) in the upper left corner of the iphone. When I select the camera id as the wifi network, that network name gets a checkmark next to it, indicating that connection was made, but the wifi icon does not appear. Is this normal?

Regards,

J.F.

Message 4 of 7 (9,031 Views)

Hi, 

Thanks for the added information. It could be that the smartphone is automatically connected to your home or preferred network thus blocking the connection between the camera and phone. I suggest going to your network settings and forgetting your home network and the camera's. Reconnect the camera and smartphone following the same steps as before. 

If the issue is unresolved, forget the camera's SSID from your smartphone, uninstall and reinstall the PlayMemories Mobile app and try the steps again.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution". Thanks_Mitch

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 5 of 7 (412 Views)

Hello, I followed all the steps. Even reinstalled the app in my Iphone, but it didn’t worked. What else can I do?
Rookie
Message 6 of 7 (149 Views)

[ Edited ]

Were you able to get this resolved? I have the same problem so keen to know what you did to get things working. Thanks. Lindsayq

Rookie
Message 7 of 7 (89 Views)

Hi MitchC,

I had the same problem and I was able to solve it. The only issue I found is that I need to reselect the camera’s WiFi network every time I wanted to transfer a picture from my Sony camera to my iphone. Is there anything I could do to keep it connected to the camera network? thanks!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook