Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 5 (3,152 Views)
Accepted Solution

Canon lens won't focus?

Hello all,

I have an a6000, and recently purchased a Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM lens and a Fotasy EOS-NEX adapter.  

Everything fits together ok but the focus ring on the lens will not work at all (it's brand new) 

are there certain settings i need to adjust in order to get this working properly?  

(already have release w/o Lens enabled still doesn't seem to work)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Professional
Message 2 of 5 (3,128 Views)

Re: Canon lens won't focus?

Does the focus ring rotate when the lens is NOT attached to the adapter?

... when it's attached to the adapter that's NOT attached to the camera?

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 5 (3,106 Views)

I have the inexpensive f1.8 50mm (II). Is it the plastic one? If so, the focus ring on it is just the smallest outer ring (about 1/4 inch or less). The lens also needs to be set to MF. If manual, you won't need the autofocus adapter (with the contacts), but rather just the connection adapter.

If you are using the autofocus adapters, in my VERY LIMITED experience it is excruciatingly slow--probably best for still life of still portraits.

Message 4 of 5 (3,092 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi mattmack2184,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

Like what Penjet mentioned, you need to check if your E-Mount adapter supports autofocus or not. If the adapter does not support AF, you need to set the Canon 50 F1.8 lens to MF.  You will have to move the focus ring to focus.

canon.jpg

If the adapter supports AF feature, set the lens to AF and the camera should autofocus. Depending on the adapter, we can not guarantee the speed of the autofocus. 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Best regards,
Zander

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 5 of 5 (187 Views)

Im having the same problem its mf and im good with mf have the same adapter no matter what i do no difference to the focus i have 140 into this and am fearing im screwed.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook