Welcome to the Community!

Alpha NEX Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 11 of 16 (867 Views)

Re: Dead a6000 hot shoe?

I can assure you all the mentioned procedures were fully pursued early in the process.  I've been using cameras semi professionaly for many years.  What happens here is a configuration problem.  The A6000 just doesn't recognized the flash and flash doesn't recognize the camera.  They know each other are there but do not function properly together.  The flash works well when not attached to camera.  Both in TTL and Manual modes.  Attach it to the camera and in TTL mode, nothing on the flash can be changed.  You can not adjust it in anyway.  The only thing on the flash that let you know they are connected is in the TTL Zoom mode, the flash lens setting will change from 20mm to 50mm.  No higher than 50mm despite the lens.  Can't change anything in Manual mode either.  Can't change mode or any of the setting.  When attached, the camera recognizers that an external flash is attached, the little orange dot and the flash symbol shows in the display, and it fires just as it should.  Timing and lens control by the firmware is probably the issue.  The camera setting are, set automatically I assume due to the flash attachment, are totally out of sync with the flash.  The flash even cycles properly using the "no red eye" mode on the camera.  The exposure is at least 5 to 10 stops underexposed.  As to your suggestion to use Manual mode, why buying a TTL flash and then not be able to use it?  The flash still underexposed when in Manual.  Bottom line, they are not compatible or the flash I received was faulty.  Too many people online had the same problem.  The camera is fantastic and I hope someday Sony will alter the firmware to be able to use a 3rd party flash specifically for Sony cameras such as the Godox TT685s.  Apparently the Godox does work on other Sony platforms.  It has the little fingers in the front of the shoe so as to transfer data back and forth with the camera.  Just not the A6000 series.  As to time, I spent at least 6 hours working with this problem, researching on line and trying every possible combination of menu changes to try and find a solution.  Nothing changed with camera setting changes.  Everything, was greatly underexposed.  If indeed I had a bad flash and it is substantiated that the TTL685s works with the A6000, let me know.  Thanks, 

Rookie
Message 12 of 16 (484 Views)

I've just received my Meike MK320 (same as Neewer nw320) and have the same issue.

There are solution suggestions in the following videos:
https://youtu.be/ETkgj5-DdAQ
https://youtu.be/IKc3b49GRKU

Is it right? 

Enthusiast
Message 13 of 16 (190 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi there are lots of issues with the Sony hotshoe about.  Most seem related to the proprietry "smart" connection Sony uses.  But one professional photographer identified that on some flashes, because the non-sony flash needs to sit back from the Sony connector, you need to pull the flash back a small amount to get it to connect/lock.  IE The locking pin does not seat until you pull the flash back a mil in the hot shoe. have a look at this video on the subject.  He seems quite mortified;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdQKg8V8hzk

Enthusiast
Message 14 of 16 (169 Views)

I replaced the A6000 with a A6300 and have had no issues with the new camera. The flashes work like a charm.

Enthusiast
Message 15 of 16 (146 Views)

Congrats on the 6300 On the Trent but not everyone can just replace cameras when the one they already spent money on does not work properly. I looked all over the web and not once did I see a reply from Sony stating that the fix is x,y,z. All I see from Sony has been here and all have been canned responses. Check your batteries, the flash takes time to recycle. That is BS answers. They know they have a problem and just ignore it. I bought my camera used because the one my son bought was new and the shoe did not work so I bought a used one to see if his was defective and because I love the camera and the shoe does not work on it either.
I wanted a Rotolight Neo II and asked Rotolight what to use other than the crazy priced ELINCHROM trigger and they said Godox X1T(S) with X1R(S). So, I bought them. Does not work. Does not matter how great something is if it won't work in the real world. So now I am contemplating tossing both cameras and going back to Canon backup cameras because Sony can't waste their time to help their customers find a solution. They fixed in the other cameras so there is a solution. If it was a car there would be a recall but since this only affects a LOT of customers instead of all, they ignore the questions and act as if it is not a real problem. What manufacturer would want to be know as the ones that do not want business from a photographer that uses third party products? This is arrogance on Sony's part and I do not like that. Might be time for everyone to stop buying Sony for a month or so. Don't get cameras or accessories, TV's, stereos and other products. They are like Walnart, so big they think they don't need their customers anymore. They are too big to fail? Well, they are failing their customers and will be loosing me very soon unless they at least show effort to fix the problem. They should provide a trade in offer of bring us your a6000 and we will knock off the price of that on a higher model that actually works. Can you tell I am frustrated? Maybe guys like Jason Lanier and Gary Fong can afford to throw money at every new body that comes out but the rest of us have to try to get by.. SOME ON SONY!!!!!!!!!

Now, I bet the reply is to change the batteries in the flash or wait for recycle time to pass and try again.

Any takers?
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 16 of 16 (133 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had the issue. Also with a supported Sony HVL-F20M external flash. In the end I had to go to a Sony store to get acknowledgement that it was my A6000. Anyway it was repaired (Camera was away for 5 weeks) and it worked for a good 18 months before it failed again. Out of Warranty this time. I think the challenge for customers is that in order for Sony to acknowledge this is a systemic problem with the camera they are up for 100s of millions. They weigh that up against the customers who will want repairs under warranty which would be a fraction, along with those who even want to use the hot shoe. That makes it a smaller problem for them. There is also the issue of putting a non supported Flash on your A6000 and blowing it up. Sony cant be responsible for that. The reality is they're not about to do a recall for an incidental component of the device not critical to its base functionality.
But yeah I agree some kind of upgrade discount would be good for loyal registered customers with the issue who want it fixed. (But that's probably a thing of the past and not compatible with Shareholder performance expectations)

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook