Welcome to the Community!

Alpha NEX Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 16 (2,119 Views)

Dead a6000 hot shoe?

I picked up the Godox X1Ts and TT685s yesterday after seeing the success others where having with it on their A6000s. FYI these flashes use the multi interface.

However I am having no such luck. The flash and trigger work just fine off the camera (all buttons work, transmitter triggers flash) but once on the hot shoe they stop working - can't change settings, nothing. I contacted Sony but they played the 'we dont support third party' card. I know there was an issue with the hotshoe on the black a6000s due it being painted but I thought that was only an issue with non-sony style flashes.

In my research I seem to be the only one having this issue, so I am leaning to the idea that there is something wrong with my camera. Anyone else run into this issue with Godox or any other third party flashes that use the multi interface? I'd hate to have to send the flashes back as I really like them. 

Expert
Message 2 of 16 (2,075 Views)

Re: Dead a6000 hot shoe?

Hi Mway83,

Thank you for considering Sony Community!

Sony can't guarantee 100% compatibility / functionality of third party flashes and accessories.

You may want to check the link below for the compatible accessories with the Sony a6000 camera:
http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cscs/accessories/?area=gb&lang=en.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Regards,
-Anthony

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 16 (1,985 Views)

mway83, I have the identical problem with the identical system (didn't know I had twin siblings!).  I tried to resolve with SONY via online chat about 2 weeks ago, arguing the same as you I am sure and trying to make a point that this is going to continue being a problem for enthusiast and pro photographers, as they use a lot of 3rd party gear.  The customer service (?) rep on the other side played ignorant and told me she'd relay the message to her managers.  So, no resolution and I am a bit reluctant getting the Dremel out and grinding away on my warranty.  I was able to go around the issue in compromised fashion by triggering the flashes (which work flawlessly, btw) via a 3.5mm cable connected Miops Trigger (wired in series to trigger the X1T, which in turn triggered the PC cable connected a6000), however that gave me so-so results and sure won't work very well outside a controlled indoor environment.

Also, I would have happily purchased the SONY flashes if they worked as well or better (I don't know it, haven't researched), but not at 3-4 times the cost.  Now, imagine the look on one's face having the same experience with a $2000 vs $200 3rd party system.  I hope SONY will recognize that selling a "pro" use capable camera will eventually require some compromises.  This, to me, is a serious enough issue not to buy into the system, if external flash triggering was required.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 16 (1,983 Views)

BTW, you are not the only one. You can find Youtube videos on this and how to resolve it.
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 16 (1,982 Views)

Expert
Message 6 of 16 (1,966 Views)

Isnt this more a support issue of the flash/trigger manufacturer? Do sony flashes have the same issue on your camera? (maybe test it in a camera store that carries sony flashes)

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 16 (1,946 Views)

Gunnar, good point and you are right. To my knowledge, 3rd party manufacturers rely on an unpainted hot shoe surface for the electrical ground. SONY has designed their own flashes differently by grounding via two pins, so they obviously don't have that same issue. I suppose the 3rd party manufacturers could have worked around that, too, unless there are patent issues.
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 16 (1,571 Views)

[ Edited ]

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 16 (1,406 Views)

I am having the same issue.  The TT865s, which is supposed to be designed for Sony, does not function at all when attached to the camera.  The shots are totally under exposed and are of worthless quality.  I bought this for it's reasonable price and I had read somewhere on the internet that it worked well with the a6000.  Love the camera and I think I would love the TT865s if it properly syned with the camera.  The camera recognizes it as a flash but nothing much else works after that.  When the flash is in autozoom it finds the mm from 20 up to 50 and display this on the flash.  I've got email into both Godox and to the seller on Amazon.  I think I'll go box it back up and send it back.  I've already spend enought time messing with it.  Good luck.

Message 10 of 16 (1,313 Views)

Hi Tofergy,

Welcome to Sony Community.

We cannot guarantee compatibility with a third party accessory. However, we suggest following these suggested troubleshooting procedures if a connected external flash does not work or will not fire. 

1. Make sure the external flash is turned on.
  2. Make sure the batteries for the flash are fully charged or replace them with new ones (if applicable).
  3. Make sure the flash is securely mounted to the hot shoe of the camera.
  4. Make sure the flash mode of the camera is turned on.

NOTE:

• After the flash fires, it takes a few seconds for the flash to recharge before it can be used again.
  • If using a third party flash with a Manual mode setting, set it to Manual mode to make it work with the camera.
  • When using Manual flash mode, there may be a need to adjust the flash level based on the exposure settings being used with the camera.

Regards,

Jerome

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook