Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Alpha NEX Cameras

Groovin'
jgraff8

How dissapointing!! A7 or A7R and External Flash HVL-F60M

[ Edited ]

I have been shooting the A7 for a few weeks and just got the HVL-F60M external flash.   It clearly has AF assist capability.  However, when I use it with the A7, only the red AF assist light from the body is used.  Presumably the AF asssist from the external flash would be much more effective.   Is it not compatible?   I just threw it on the hot shoe straight out of the box.  Are there settings I'm supposed to adjust?  In the camera menu, you can either turn the AF assist to off or auto.  This toggle had no impact on my issue.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

JUST GOT ANSWER FROM SONY ON PHONE:

It is not compatable??  Really? Posted the "answers" link below. The sales promotion bundles this flash with the A7 -- why is your sales department advertising a +$500 flash that is not fully compatable with this camera?  There should be a disclosure.   How would someone effectively use this in a pro setting like a wedding reception? 

Moderators -- is there a legit pro flash being designed for the A7 that is actually designed for it?  Maybe something that is smaller as well?  The F60M is a tank on top of the small A7.  If so, I would like to return the F60M and hold out for something that is more appropriate. Unfortunately I sold my Canon and can't go back.  So if this is going to be a while, I am left with no other good options (unless you have a suggestion). Thanks

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37339

Will the AF Illuminator function on the external flash work when using an A-mount lens with a mount adapter?
Article ID: 37339  |   Last Updated: 01/30/2014

The AF Illuminator function on the external flash unit is designed for A-mount cameras (SLT and DSLR). It is not compatible with E-mount cameras, even if an A-mount adapter with Phase Detection AF is used.

In this case, using an external light source to help achieve focus is recommended if possible. If you cannot change the lighting conditions try selecting a different Focus

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jgraff8

Re: How dissapointing!! A7 or A7R and External Flash HVL-F60M

Mods - folllow up question -- is this something that could ever be overcome with a firmware updated?  I saw there is one announced but it didn't mention this issue.  

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
nz4h5d

This is truly a  Sony short coming; to design a top end camera with a partialy compatible flash is an engineering shortfall. Someone at Sony should be fired for this !

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
FrancisG

Unfortunately, this is a hardware-related issue and this cannot be resolved through a firmware update.

Please use plain text.