Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Alpha NEX Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 8 (580 Views)

How do I improve the color intensity (deep blue sky etc) on the Sony a5000?

Hi,

I recently purchased a Sony a5000 camera and am still trying it out. One thing I noticed is that, in comparison to my MotoG cell phone camera, which, of course, is relatively simple, the colors on the Sony a5000 appear a lot more washed out (for example, a blue sky just appears white). I photographed the same scene with the MotoG and the Sony, and the MotoG consistently gave much richer colors.  How is that possible, and what can I do to adjust it? To get a deep blue sky for example, and just generally rich colors. I found a "pop color" setting, but that doesn't work with HDR (in cases where I might want to use that). Is there any specific setting, or what else can I try?

Thanks for any help!

Professional
Message 2 of 8 (561 Views)

Re: How do I improve the color intensity (deep blue sky etc) on the Sony a5000?

There are a number of ways to do what you describe. What you're looking for is a way to increase the Saturation of the colors. Sometimes the controls refer to saturation and sometimes they use the term "Vivid".

You can select the Picture Effect of Pop Color from the Camera Settings (Camera icon) menu. There is also a Creative Style called Vivid which will do what you want, but you can adjust the Saturation of any of the creative styles. In addition, when using either Intelligent Auto or Superior Auto, you can adjust the Vividness.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Professional
Message 3 of 8 (548 Views)

I would suggest to shoot RAW for your images, giving you the most information per image available as a starting point, 

and use good image processing software for your editing.

These can include, but are not limited to, Capture One Pro, Lightroom, Photoshop..

This ensures you have maximum flexibility in changing you 'look' of the image afterwards, without risking the restrictiveness of a 'baked in' Jpeg.

The only thing you can't apply is a Polarizer, which is recommendable when shooting skies or taking glare of objects ti intensify colours.

hope this helps

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 8 (531 Views)

Thanks a lot for the help.

Unfortunately, I don't have any editing software right now, but would want to get it in the future. Is there any that is not too expensive, but still does a good job? Is an older version of Photoshop still useful, or is it best to have the newest version?

I'll be shooting some pics at a theme park in a few days, where there are many colorful buildings and characters, so nice color representation would be important there. I may shoot some in RAW and Jpeg, that way I could still edit the pictures later if I do get the software. But I'm still trying to get the best quality I can for now during shooting itself.

I suppose I'll try out the Vividness and maybe the Pop Color, although I'm not sure if the latter one is more of an effect, or still a natural look.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 8 (530 Views)

Thanks a lot for the info! As I mentioned in the other reply, I'll be shooting some pics at a theme park which has many colorful buildings and characters, and it would be nice to bring out those colors. Is the Pop Color setting more of an effect, or does it create a natural look, just with more intense colors? Would you recommend the Vivid settings over the Pop Color one, or are they both good? It looks as though one can only use one or the other, not both at the same time.
Professional
Message 6 of 8 (494 Views)

[ Edited ]

For what you describe, shooting RAW won't help you much. It adds complexity to your worklflow, and burns up storage space quite quickly, all for no real benefit.

If boosting the color saturation in a RAW file will solve your problem, so will boosting the color saturation in a JPEG file. Shooting RAW is advantageous in some circumstances, but none of which apply to your situation.

I wouldn't bother with Pop Color. Instead, in unfamiliar circumstances, or when just starting out, I'd use intelligent Auto and increase the Vividness.

If you're looking for an inexpensive photo editting application, you can try Capture One Express (for Sony) or PlayMemories Home, both of which are free downloads from Sony's eSupport website here:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER

In addition there are other very good free or inexpensive applications. This is a short list of some of the more popular ones:

¹ The Lens is the Thing
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 8 (455 Views)

Okay, great, thanks a lot, I will try some of those applications. I am only just starting out with a more complex camera, so I would mainly use the apps for some of the more basic things, such as color correction, for now. Once I'll get more comfortable, I'll try out more. I'm using a Mac btw, not sure if that makes a difference. Sometimes, some apps only work for PCs.

Thanks for all of the help!

Professional
Message 8 of 8 (440 Views)

Sony's free downloads work on Macs, as do Adobe's. IrfanView and Corel's products are Windows only, though.

¹ The Lens is the Thing

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook