Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Alpha NEX Cameras

Groovin'
Bob_S
Accepted Solution

I would like to use my NEX5n or NEX6 for tethered shooting. Are there any programs available?

I would like to use my NEX5n or NEX6 tehtered to a mac (or pc) laptop. Are there any plans to make this possible in the foreseeable future? If there were, a lot of us could start replacing our Nikons and Canons...Any suggestions for lesser known programs. Programs other than than Lightroom which doesn't support it to this point.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ErikV

Re: I would like to use my NEX5n or NEX6 for tethered shooting. Are there any programs available?

Hi,

We do not have access to the future updates and cannot comment on them until we receive a confirmation.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
akositric

Re: I would like to use my NEX5n or NEX6 for tethered shooting. Are there any programs available?

There is a utility on Sony's support page which lets you send from the camera to a paired computer. Pairing is done by running the said software and plugging your 5R/6 via USB. You send your image by Playback -> Send to Computer.

This can be a tethering workaround for the NEX-5R/NEX-6
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Bob_S

Thank You..I will look into that...Regards
Please use plain text.
ETW Groovin'
Groovin'
ETW

[ Edited ]

I came *this* close to buying the NEX6 today. I've been looking for a new camera for many, many months and was excited to finally be done with the search.  Then I learned that, as far as I can tell, it does not support actual tethered shooting.  The workarounds are simply not acceptable.

The search begins anew.  I can't describe how disappointed I am.

EDIT: To be specific, I want to tether to a PC.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
AmandaM

@ETW Good day and thank you for the comment. We are more than happy to forward your feedback onto the proper department. We place a very high value on feedback from our customers because it allows us to continue to improve. Thanks again and have a wonderful day.

Please use plain text.
ETW Groovin'
Groovin'
ETW

Thanks. I appreciate that. Is there a way I can follow the firmware updates and their content? If a future update allows tethering to PC, I'll buy the camera in a heartbeat.
Please use plain text.
KevinK

Hi ETW! 

Any future firmware updates and the details about them will be posted on our esupport site at www.esupport.sony.com. 

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
RichieBeans

[ Edited ]

I appreciate the Smart Remote App that allows me to use a smartphone to shoot my NEX 5R. However, the 5R is also a really good technical camera that I can hook up to various optics such as microscopes, telescopes, and legacy accessories; it's an important reason why I bought this camera in the first place.

There is already a plug-in within Adobe LightRoom that allows tethered shooting of a Sony Alpha. Sony is limiting it's potential market of the NEX series by not providing a PC-based tethering solution. Sony is also limiting the NEX's capabilities in creative technical photography, a realm currently owned by Nikon.

Please note that I will upgrade my NEX to a full-frame mirrorless camera, when these become available, and I may not consider a NEX if a competitor has a superior tethering option.

Please use plain text.
ETW Groovin'
Groovin'
ETW

I've liked Canon tethering options in the past, and unless there are changes with NEX in the next couple of months I will likely get the Canon EOS 70D when it comes out in August. I really wanted a smaller camera (for motorcycle touring), but tethering is a must (for my other projects).

Please use plain text.