Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 3 (744 Views)
Accepted Solution

NEX6 key mapping + viewfinder proximity sensor issue

I dropped my NEX6 camera in the case and upon checking, noticed the proximity sensor no longer works. Changing between the viewfinder and LCD requires manual input in the settings menu. But both continue to work. 

Is it possible to map this command to the AEL or another key?

Pressing firmly on the sensor will cause it to shift between the 2 viewing modes, but this does not seem like a stable fix.

I have not reset the camera, as this seems to be more of a disconnect issue rather than a software issue. That, and my camera is in Japanese and I'd hate to re-do all my settings with my wife helping. 

Much thanks.

Professional
Message 2 of 3 (742 Views)

Re: NEX6 key mapping + viewfinder proximity sensor issue

Daimyoo wrote:

I dropped my NEX6 camera in the case and upon checking, noticed the proximity sensor no longer works. Changing between the viewfinder and LCD requires manual input in the settings menu. But both continue to work.

The NEX6 has a removeable  Eyepiece Cup. If it isn't installed properly, it can partially block the Eye Sensor, causing it to always presume that the user's eye is at the viewfinder. I think it's possible that the Eyepiece Cup became partially dislodged when the camera was dropped. Try removing the Eyepiece Cup, reinstalling it, and changing the setting back to Auto, to see if that solves the problem.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 3 (669 Views)

Re: NEX6 key mapping + viewfinder proximity sensor issue

The eye cup piece (rubber) is easily removable and the first thing I did. Infact, it was disldged within the camera case.

I put heavy finger pressure on the Eye Sensor and went back and forth between LCD and viewfinder. After a few hard presses, it seems to have settled and can now recognize proximity.

The wiring or other internal settings must have been loose.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook