Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Alpha NEX Cameras

Groovin'
Jplee88
Accepted Solution

Nex-6 Can't turn off digital zoom

When I go to settings and turn off digital zoom, I'm still able to use the digital zoom.  Why is that?  I want to only use the optical zoom.  Please advise.  Thanks James.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ColbyP

Re: Nex-6 Can't turn off digital zoom

Hello James.
Welcome to the Sony Community and thank you for the post.

Set the CLEAR IMAGE ZOOM function and DIGITAL ZOOM function of the Camera to OFF.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Jplee88

Thank you!  How would I have known that?  Is that in the manual?  In any case, thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
drpeej

I cant work out how to turn off digital zoom.  The only menu setting I can find is Menu/Camera/Zoom which is greyed out and gives me the error "Invalid with this lens"

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
nex6boy

As drpeej said "I cant work out how to turn off digital zoom.  The only menu setting I can find is Menu/Camera/Zoom which is greyed out and gives me the error "Invalid with this lens" Does this mean that function doesn't work with the 16-50 zoom?? That is the reason I bought the camera- why doesn't it work?? Can the next firmware update fix that problem ????

Regards

Nexboy

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
FrancisG

The [Zoom] function is indeed greyed out when you have a power zoom lens attached (ex. SELP-1650) because the controls for the optical, clear image and digital zoom would be on the lens itself. You can either rotate the zoom ring or adjust the zoom switch on the lens, and the camera would automatically use clear image zoom and digital zoom once you go beyond 50mm.

The [Zoom] function will become selectable when you use a non-power zoom lens, such as SEL-1855, SEL-16F28, SEL-55210, etc. Since the zoom ring of a non-power zoom lens only controls the optical zoom, the [Zoom] function is the one that controls the clear image zoom and digital zoom of the camera.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Grumpyrocker

I have the solution for you. :smileyhappy:

I had exactly the same problem recently with my NEX-6. I kept seeing a 2x zoom appear when I zoomed the 16-50mm past 50mm. Both Clear Image Zoom and Digital Zoom were switched off.

In the end I did a factory reset.

HOWEVER

Since then I've discovered what was happening and how to fix. This is not a firmware bug but a feature.

It seems that if you are shooting JPG and have the image size set to Medium (M in the menu) or Small (S), then there's an automatic digital zoom enabled. This is a good idea as it allows you to create smaller 100mm images with the 16-50mm without loss of image quality. How - it's just a simple case of the camera taking a full size image then cropping to create the Medium one seemingly giving you 100mm.

Anyway it's very easy to turn this off - just set your JPG size to Large (L). Job done. 

Please use plain text.