Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Alpha NEX Cameras

Groovin'
axhixh
Accepted Solution

Nex6 not charging the battery

I recently bought a Nex 6. After charging the battery I went out to take photos. I used it till the camera displayed "battery exhausted" and did not allow me to take any more photos.

Once back, I charged the whole night and the battery is still not charged. the camera still displays "battery exhausted" I noticed that every time there when I connect the micro USB charger to camera it does the charging light for a few seconds and turns off. There is no flashing.

Do I have a bad battery? I just bought two days back so I don't think the battery is old.
Any idea how I can charge the battery?

Ashish
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ColbyP

Re: Nex6 not charging the battery

Hi Ashish,

Make sure you are using the supplied micro USB cable for the NEX6 camera to charge it.
Also, make sure that the battery is inserted correctly in the camera.

Remove the battery pack and re-insert it.
If the charging indicator does not light up or blink while charging, make sure the metal contacts are free of any foreign material that may prevent charging. Use a dry cloth to wipe away any dust or other material on the battery terminals.

Set the power switch to OFF while charging the battery. If the power switch is set to ON, the camera cannot charge the battery.
If you have been trying to charge the battery by connecting to a computer, then try connecting the supplied AC Adaptor to the micro USB cable and a working electrical outlet.
After charging for few minutes, attempt to turn on the camera to check if the battery is being charged properly.

If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required. Click the Repair & Status link for available service options.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
axhixh

I am using the provided micro USB cable, charger and camera to charge. The camera is in off position. The yellow charging light does come on for about 15 seconds and turns off. It doesn't charge.

I will contact support once I am back from holiday.

Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
xlordvader

I had the same issue with my camera. But I tried a few different chargers to try and charge the battery.
I had a microusb car charger which failed to charge the battery.
Tried hooking it up to the USB port in my car - it failed yet again.

It only charged when i connected it to my laptop which I found strange. Never seen such a finicky device.
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
axhixh

Since my camera was less than 60 days, I got the battery replaced and everything works fine with new battery.

Also it was a battery issue because I got it replacement battery and it worked fine with the second battery.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
kalolox

Now I have the exact same problem, the light turns on for 15 secs and the go off, so the problem is the battery ¿right?
Please use plain text.
FrancisG

The battery is fully charged once the charge lamp goes off. It is possible that this is a battery-related issue, but please try to use another battery with the camera to confirm this.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

http://bit.ly/LapMagWin

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
enjoy-nex

[ Edited ]

Hi, If there is damaged PCB it allows to full discharge li-ion cells. If you have still a warranty and can not charge even with external charger contact with Sony support for battery replace.

Please use plain text.
Chart Buster
msDrop-com

[ Edited ]

did you tried with another usb cable? try with external charger as enjoy-nex suggested, but if battery PCB is damaged or battery cells are full discharged PCB may not allow to charge

JackC

Hello axhixh! You can isolate the issue by using another USB cable and charging the camera through a computer or, if available, try another battery. If you have tested charging with another USB cable, battery and source and the camera will still not turn on, the camera will require service.

Please use plain text.