Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Alpha NEX Cameras

Emerging Star
glina
Accepted Solution

Sony A7/A7R firmware update request

[ Edited ]

Dear Sony,

Here are a couple of tweaks/suggestion which would make the A7/A7R experience even better. I would consider them fixes and not new features, so hopefully you will be able to introduce them to the current camera models.

1. Change minimum shutter speed with Auto ISO
The classic rule of 1/f is not enough for modern 24 and 36 Mpix sensor. Please make an option to select 1/2f or 1/3f, or hardcode the automation to choose shorter shutter speeds. A lot of amateur users are disappointed with their cameras taking unsharp pictures! Advanced users complain that they have to use workarounds (M mode).

2. "Aperture preview"/"Shot result preview" while using Magnified View - please make it work with LA-EA3 and LA-EA4, users of these adapters can only see the aperture wide open and can't preview it with magnification.

3. Remote control (IR) will not release the shutter if Magnified View is enabled.

4. Add uncompressed RAW option next to the current cRAW (as it was in former A850 / A900 cameras)

5. Add new "Dial Setup" options to assing ISO control to Front/Back Dial Wheels (in A and S mode)

6. Make "AF On" work (one time autofocus) when camera is in "MF" mode.

7. Make "Deactivate monitor" really disable it, instead of making it just show black but with backlighting still enabled (and eating up batteries). There should also be an option to Toggle between EVF and LCD manually, as the automatic sensor is very sensitive (add possibility to assign the "FINDER/MONITOR" function to a custom key).

8. Add option to enable AF Illuminator with LA-EA3 / LA-EA4 and/or other adapters attached.

9. Improve low light AF performance. Why is the A7 and A7R behavior similar while the A7 is supposed to be better thanks to its PDAF points? Is it not using them in AF-S mode?

One wish I also have is a change to lens roadmap policies for E-mount and A-mount. I believe it would be to Sony's advantage if their users knew in advance if they have a reason to wait for a native lens of their wish. Currently, most are buying third party or legacy lenses or even switching camera systems which surely can't be good for Sony. I'm pretty sure it's already very clear to Sony which lenses are being designed for years to come.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
ferrellmc

Re: Sony A7/A7R firmware update request

Good points.

I think #6 is interesting. So you are saying a half push of the shutter would allow AF one time, then you would Manual focus to fine tune or leave it where it is, all other half push of the shutter would not change focus, once the pic is taken the system resets and allows a single AF. Are there any other sytems that have this?

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
glina

[ Edited ]

Well, not exactly.

What you described is called DMF and is available in "Focus Mode". Try it. The camera will AF on half-press of the shutter and then allow you to fine tune in MF mode.

The function I'm talking about also exists and is called AF/MF Control Hold in the "Custom Key Settings" menu. When the camera is in MF mode as set through the "Focus Mode" menu, the AF/MF Control Hold functions properly. It will Autofocus and revert back to MF when the button is released. It's my understanding that "AF On" should do the same thing, as it does just that, but only when "Focus Mode" is one of the AF modes, not in MF.

There's also a small bug:

If the camera is switched to MF through the AF/MF Control Toggle function (but "Focus Mode" is AF) and the AF/MF Control Hold is pressed, the camera reverts back to AF. This is, in my opinion, a bug. It should revert back to the previous state.

Edited: Changed "Drive Mode" to "Focus Mode".

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
ferrellmc

I'm not sure I follow you on "When the camera is in MF mode as set through the "Drive Mode" menu," doesn't Drive Mode set single shot, continuous shot, self-timer etc.? Do you mean Focus Mode?

What I'd like to see Sony add is an inset of the scene while in magnify MF mode. It can help with composing at the moment critical focus is met. Right now all the user gets is an inset with a black screen showing the focus point - not very useful.

As it is now, when in DMF, when I turn the focus ring I have to do one of the following: wait 2sec. or wait 5 sec. for the view to revert back or if it's set to no limit I have to take the pic hoping my composition works. In the 2 sec or 5 sec waiting period the subject distance can change enough to give you an out of focus pic. If I take my finger off the shutter to get the full scene then it will refocus when pressed and the MF is lost. What do you think?

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
glina

Indeed, I ment the Focus Mode, not Drive Mode. Thanks for pointing this out.

I absolutely agree about the Magnification. I would also like to see the frame outlines, with only a portion of the image magnified, although I wouldn't necesarilly replace the existing function. I'd like to have both as options.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Davidz

Hi all,

Completely agree with the points especially no4 and no9. Really hope there will be a firmware update for faster af!!!!! for A7, and uncompressed raw would be nice as well. Thanks in advance. Moderator?
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
FrancisG

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and we will forward this to our engineering team for review.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Davidz

The new A6000 looks fantastic AF-wise. Is there a chance some of its tech gets into the A7 (not the R) via firmware update?

Thnx

D

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
schwerd

we also desperately need improvements in the auto-bracketing…  anyone that has tried to use this knows… NEEDED:  (1)  press shutter, two second delay, then shoot the preset shots.  (2) more control over number of shots and exposure spreads.  PLEASE PLEASE… this is software… it’s easy to fix

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
hghart

YES. I especially agree on points 4 (uncompressed RAW) and 7 (deactivate monitor). These are necessities!
Please use plain text.