Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Alpha NEX Cameras

Groovin'
TravelBock
Accepted Solution

Sony NEX-3 Does anyone know how to change the menu Language?

<p>Hi there,. bought a NEX-3 sight unseen... turns out the deal was too good to be true, as it is a Japanese model (takes great pictures!) Downloaded the&nbsp;<span>NEX-3V5_Update1112a.exe but do not want to brick the camera. Am I able to run the firmware update so that it will turn the menu into English? If not, how am I able to get the camera to disply the menu in English?</span></p>
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
NathanielL

Re: Sony NEX-3 Does anyone know how to change the menu Language?

Hello TravelBock,

We highly recommend that you DO NOT apply the American release firmware update Version 05 to your Japanese model NEX-3 camera. Please refrain from applying that update as we cannot guarantee that the unit will function properly if not at all. If your unit displays japanese characters try the best to go into the MENU>SETUP>scroll down to MAIN SETTINGS>LANGUAGE. here you should see ENGLISH as an option.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
TravelBock

Hey NathanielL thanks for the feedback. That is what the English user manual said, so on the right track... as the camera menu is in Japanese, it is a challenge to follow in English. Went so far as translating the below instructions to Japanese but could not match the characters. Assuming the menu options are in the same location, please let me know how many choices to scroll down in 'Menu' then ?3? down to 'Setup' then ?3? down to 'Main Settings' and then ?2? Down to 'Language'
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
MarkTurnerImage

Hi. I have a friend who also has this issue.

I'm of the opinion that the language option is not there in the Japanese regional units.

In some areas of the menu, you can see many options that have no Japanese equivalent and they are the correct amount of up or down cursor presses away from each other. (like the MF assist and the colourspace or HDMI control and USB connection)

When you're at Area setting which shows the globe and you can select an area you can go up in the options to the date/time setup, which is as the manual describes. But the next step up in the menu is not the language select.

Is there a history of these cameras getting bricked by wrong region firmware updates?

In my friends case, it's pretty much useless unless it's in english or german so I suppose there's no harm in trying the update, it's a mostly useless device at the moment.

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
TravelBock

Thanks Mark,.. sound logic, ran the American firmware update on the Japanese camera. Turns out that it still takes great pictures and the menu also remains Japanese,.. so American firmware V5 does not overwrite Japanese menu settings and also does not seem to adversely affect the camera.

Have found an alternative, which requires the firmware to be re-applied. When attempting to do this, the firmware updater aborts saying 'The update is not required. The update process is aborted'

Tech support please help - Is there any way of forcing an update? If so please provide advice.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
FrancisG

[ Edited ]

The [Language] setting of the camera is marked by the icon illustrated below. This will be your guide as you look for the language setting option in the [Setup] menu. If it is not visible, then it may indeed be possible that there are no language settings available in the camera.

language icon.JPG

It is good that you are able to update the camera using the US version of the firmware. However, re-updating the camera is not possible. The firmware update file will recognize if the camera is already running the latest version and it will not proceed any further in updating the camera. Moreover, the firmware update will not include the English language on the camera.

If this post answers your question, please mark it "Accept as Solution."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
TravelBock

Thanks for the feedback. Is there any indication when the next firmware update will be made available for the NEX3?
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
FrancisG

We do not have any information on any firmware releases. However, you may always visit the camera's homepage at our eSupport website for any updates that will be available.

If this post answers your question, please mark it "Accept as Solution."

Please use plain text.