Alpha NEX Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 1 of 8 (5,347 Views)
Accepted Solution

Tethered Live View for a7R

How do I tether my a7R so that I can use "live view" on my laptop monitor?

Message 2 of 8 (5,285 Views)

Re: Tethered Live View for a7R

Hi hexclimber,

You can use the live view feature when the camera is connected to another device via HDMI. We can't ensure this feature when using a computer since most computers only have HDMI out ports. You will need to connect the camera to an HDMI IN port. You can either use an external monitor, TV, or smartphone ( wireless connection via PlayMemories Mobile) to view the items displayed on the screen of the camera.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution". Thanks_Mitch

Apprentice
Message 3 of 8 (5,282 Views)

Hi Mitch,

That helps, but...  I wouldn't be able to control the camera setting from that would I...?  Do you know if this ability is a hardware or a firmware related issue?  All of the other cameras in this series have the ability to shoot tethered in live view.  Sigh...

Is it possible to tether live view wirelessly to a computer that would allow me to both see the image and manipulate the camera settings...?

Thanks,

Jerry

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 8 (5,270 Views)

I agree totally about the live view issue. Sony is way behind on this.  Canon and Nikon both have easy free apps that allow almost full funtionality. Canon sends their app for free on a disc with the camera purchased. Other software providers have tethered shooting capability (Lightroom) but not liveview. CaptureOne has tethered shooting for many Sony cameras but only a very few Sony cameras (mostly the latest cameras on the market) have liveview capability. 

I am going to experiment with a free download of Digicamcontrol. I have a Canon camera and it works really well through a USB connection. They do support Sony cameras BUT only through Wifi connection and only on Windows. I am going to try it however, on my laptop which is a Mac, I will have to use Parallels for running Windows on a Mac and then buy Windows 10 (for about $99).

I think I may be able to get Windows on a 30 day trial basis so I can see if it works first. 

Some people seem to have success with other work arounds (with Blackmagic devices, dongles, and other software) but I gave up on that approach as it is expensive and complicated for me.  

Again, in my opinion, Sony is way behind on this aspect of enabling Liveview as a simple and free service.  

Message 5 of 8 (5,253 Views)

Hi hexclimber,

You can control the camera settings when using the Smart Remote Control app. Download the app on your camera and install the PlayMemories Mobile on your smartphone. You can then connect the camera to an external monitor for live view monitoring. The app allows wireless control so you'll be free to manipulate your settings even when you're not in front of your computer. This also allows you to see what the camera's seeing through the phone.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution". Thanks_Mitch

Apprentice
Message 6 of 8 (5,250 Views)

Thanks, Mitch.

If by monitor you mean the phone's screen, that's good, but not really much larger than the image on the camera's monitor.

Message 7 of 8 (5,226 Views)

Hi hexclimber,

You can use the PlayMemories Mobile and Smart Remote Control with any mobile device such as smartphones and tablets. You can install the apps in these verified mobile devices.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 8 of 8 (5,221 Views)

Thanks again, Mitch.  I really appreciate your help.  I haven't tested it yet, but I will do that within the next couple of days.  I'm guessing that the camera controls in the app are more limited than what is usually available through somthing like Capture One running on a laptop.  I have used the remote app on my phone in the past, but abandonded it because of that and the time and trouble in firing it up and getting everyone to play together...

Best,

Jerry

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook