Welcome to the Community!

Alpha NEX Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 12 (743 Views)

a6300 problem with external mic

I just got an a6300 a few days ago. I have two external mics that work fine with other devices. When I plug them into my camera, I get no sound recording. The display bars are at zero for R and L channels. When I start recording without anything plugged in, it uses the internal mic and keeps using the internal mic when I plug something in.

Professional
Message 2 of 12 (718 Views)

Re: a6300 problem with external mic

jbenn, how do you physically connect those?

maybe there's something funny with the pinout, the camera 'expects' unbalanced stereo and will supply 'plug in power' if a suitable source is detected...

have you tried with one only?

what mics and connectors are utilized?

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 12 (706 Views)

Here is mic 1: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQHFIS4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (also plugged into a phantom power unit). I've used it numerous times to record audio on my computer.

Here is mic 2: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N57HLT6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It's cheap, but it works well on my cell phone.

I plug both of them into the mic port until it clicks. I can tap the mics, blow on them, or do whatever and they don't pick up anything at all. There is no audio recorded when I start recording with them plugged in. As soon as I plug them in, the display audio level bars go to one and don't move until I unplug them. So, it recognizes that something is being plugged in and turns off the internal mic, but then it doesn't pick anything up from the external mics.

Side question: Does anyone have the ECMXYST1m? It is an external mic that fits into the multi-shoe on the top. I wonder if there is some problem with my camera (that is only a few days old), if I could use the interface on the top to get sound.

Professional
Message 4 of 12 (699 Views)

@jbenn,

looks like your $15 desk mic is 'optimized' to work with computers. Looks like this is a passive pre-polarized electret mic that will require some form of external 'plug-in' power.

Whilst this can be supplied by the camera, maybe current draw is outside specs, or the built in 'soft start' throws a spanner in the works. Or maybe its the muc's volume adjustment.

Not sure what phantom power unit & associated cabling you're using. Likely this throws up sone other issues.

Hard to tell without any proper specs, pinouts, user manuals;

Your lapel is optimized for smartphones, hence TRRS plug (2 rings). This is not the same as TRS (1 ring), and won't work with this mic input.

Please do yourself a favour and just walk down with your camera to your local camerahouse, and get a working cheap Rode cameramic and lapel,

or use Sony's compatability chart

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cscs/accessories/compatibility.php?area=gb&lang=en&mdl=ILCE-...

There is a Sony hot shoe adapter that can power, connect and adjust 2 different sources (XLR-K2M) , but I would think this would be out of your price range.

good luck!

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 12 (684 Views)

Thanks for the help. I was hoping that the problem was the mics, but was concerned that it didn't work with either of them. I'll take it to a camera shop to do some further testing. Thanks again.
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 12 (213 Views)

I have an  Audio-Technica ATR-3350 ATR Series Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier Microphone which I came to use for the first time yesterday on my Sonya6300.

I am unable to get the Mike to record any sound - it works perfectly on my Canon 80D.

It would appear there is an incompatibility problem with some Mikes - reasons unknown 
Professional
Message 7 of 12 (204 Views)

@Kidson,

the ATR3350 needs an internal LR44 battery..

perhaps it needs replacing?

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 12 (187 Views)

I got a rode videomicro mic and it works great. I also tried it with some higher quality lav mics and the problem was just with my low quality mics. 

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 12 (175 Views)

Battery is fine - as I said before works perfectly OK on my Canon 80D - but thanks for suggestion
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 12 (174 Views)

Seemingly all the Rode Mikes appear to be working OK with the Sony A6300

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook