Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Alpha NEX Cameras

Emerging Star
Parentesi

a7r bracketing Sony Alpha

I have really troubles with the a7r bracketing shoting modes.

Whish-list (What all other cameras are actually capable of):

1. Set EV and bracketing steps separately (the a7/a7r are capable of doing that to, just the software is limiting it)

2. Give the opportunity that the bracketing shots are shot continuously without having the finger on the trigger (first camera I have that does not do this). / all Canon EOS 5D, Nikon D800/E, PhaseOne 65+/iq180 I worked with just did it. If you want the shots on the same position, then it should not move, having the Finger on the trigger all time moves the camera and the pictures are not aligned.

3. The opportunity to have a 2 sec. auto-time before starting the bracketing shots taken automatically. Gives you the time to move away and not being in the shadow of the image and the camera is not moving.

Here are some more issues that occur:

When shooting in bracketing C, it shots one ore two pictures when pressing the button as short as possible. Why?

It should first of al shoot all images of the continuous bracketing shot. Or, as it seems to be design at the moment (what is not god), shot just one image. I mean I am faster with my finger then the camera can shot one image, but it still shots sometimes one image, then two images, but never the whole series of bracketing images set for.

And Why ist it not possible to shot more then 0.7EV with 5 shots but up to 3EV with 3 shots? Duhh... I thought I am looking at something wrong and tried to find this setting for about two hours until I gave up and called sony support who then told me the camera is set up this way. It is not the camera, it is the software I said. He then repeatedly said "the camera is set up this way". Gave me the feeling he had heard this issue often and did not know what to say. 

Is there a way that these things get implemented? If not please let me know, I will have to give back the camera, I can not achieve my usual work/quality like this. I love this camera and I really like Sony as a Brand. 

And this is achieved easily within the next update. Please let me keep this camera!

Thank you,

Roberto

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
FrancisG

Re: a7r bracketing Sony Alpha

We appreciate the feedback that you have provided, and we will be forwarding this to our engineering team for review.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
Parentesi

I would even by an app to have this working... !

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
ferrellmc

I agreee with you that HDR continuous shooting needs to be better. 

Regarding the part: "Here are some more issues that occur"
"It should first of all shoot all images.... sometimes one image, then two...."

The first two images are taken quickly as they are 0EV and -2EV but the last image in the sequence may seem delayed because it is the +2EV image. For example, 3 images @ 2 EV spacing and the 0EV shot is .5 sec. The series would be .5sec, 1/8sec, 2sec. so the last image would seem as if it lags. The time can be longer if Noise Reduction is on.

RE: "And Why ist it not possible to shot more then 0.7EV with 5 shots but up to 3EV with 3 shots? Duhh..."

I think the challenge is buffering for 5 images at high EV differences.

Keep in mind that the A7r has good dynamic range so most scenes can be captured with 3 images @ 2.0EV spacing. If you need more range captured you could set up for 3 images @ 2 EV spacing then from the menu dial in +2EV, shoot 3 images then dial in -2EV and shoot 3 more images. There will be 2 images at 0EV so you can discard one. You'll get -4, -2, 0, +2, +4. Of course all this involves touching the camera between image sets so camera movement is a risk, especially with a menu button that's hard to push. I think the top dial is much too hard to turn for HDR bracketing.

OR you could shoot two sets: 3 images @ 2EV and then 3 images @ 3EV. This will give you -3, -2, 0 +2, +3.

At this time no intervalometer or playmemories app available.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
Parentesi

the camera has no issues recording 5 or 7 images with different time, and I dont even care if it takes longer.
But I need to not touch the camera, not to turn a dial, otherwise the images do not match exactly over each other. And that is not good in stitching HDR-Domes. 
you could of course go to a longer process in first achieving through software that each image is a HDR-Image already by itself and then crate the HDR-Dome (the software is then able of aligning the images), but that exceeds the time you need in achieving it and all because you do not get the option to shoot 7 images at 1EV steps. (and the camera can do that easily.)

I found three HDR-Dome-robotic-systems from diferent developers that the camera can work with and they manage to get the camera taking 11 shots with 0.7EV steps. All quite fast. but they cost about 6000USD. and that is not what I need.

HDR-Braketing does not work, except you set the camera to auto-ISO. so the camera will change the Iso setting durign my shots! (I make roundshots 360° x 180°) So it is expected to change the ISO then!

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
namsicklz

[ Edited ]

PLEASE allow auto brakceting at 1EV increments, for 5-7 shots.  This is a simple software fix, and would appease thousands of users.  HDR photography(for which I mainly use this feature) is vogue and not a flash in the pan.  You could set yourself apart from the norm by listening to this HUGE group of photographers and solving this simple issue.  I should be able to simply shoot -3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3.  This is a deal braker for me, and if there is no plan for a fix for this, will be returning my new A7r.  I knew this was an issue before, but the silence is deafening.

Please use plain text.
JackC

Thank you all for your input. This will be forwarded to the proper team for consideration.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
Parentesi

Why has this not been forwarded in the beginning?

Please use plain text.
JackC

Hi Parentesi! User namsicklz just commented about an hour ago. I was just acknowledging that his/her idea will be forwarded as well. Your input have all been forwarded prior to namsicklz's post. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
pcorajr

I agree, i would love to see this added to the next firmware upgrade. It is something that was added to the NEX 7 and should be also added to the a7 cameras. One of the biggest reason why i got this camera was because it has the qualities that cater to the HDR shooter. 

Please use plain text.