Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 5 (336 Views)
Accepted Solution

my 5R won't work after the battery drained out

I was playing with the playmemories with the direct upload apps on my NEX 5R today. Forgot the password and have tried several times to reset it. I didn't notice that the battery level is low and drained out.

The camera stopped all of a sudden and won't work. I did several things trying to reset the camera.

I removed the battery and SD card after turning off the camera.

After ten minutes, I inserted a fully charged battery into the camera and turned it on. The LCD lighted up but no menu or info was displayed. I turned off the camera but the LCD was still on.

I couldn't find a way to go to the menu and to operate the camera. I have no idea how to hard reset the 5R as well.

What is the possible cause ? Are there any solutions ?

Thanks

Professional
Message 2 of 5 (330 Views)

Re: my 5R won't work after the battery drained out

Try leaving the battery out for a full 24 hours.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Apprentice
Message 3 of 5 (326 Views)

Thank you for your quick response.

What is the rationale behind ?

24 hours to drain out the remaining power inside the camera (electronics/capacitor) ?

Professional
Message 4 of 5 (294 Views)

[ Edited ]

All digital cameras have an internal, non-removeable battery that is charged by the removeable battery. This battery preserves settings and operating conditions from one session to the next, including settings that can't be changed via the menus. Leaving the removeable battery out for a full 24 hours willl cause the cammera to fully drain the internal pattery and all the settings will revert to their default values.

If this doesn't solve your problem, there's nothing more you can do except send it in for servicing.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Apprentice
Message 5 of 5 (263 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just to update : the camera is back to life.

That's what I have done :

1. leave the camera with the battery and SD card out for over 24 hours as advised by TCav. (thanks)

2. Re-insert the SD card and a fully charged battery into the 5R. Then turn on the camera.

At this stage, nothing happen and the LCD is on without any menu and info. I then turn off the camera and the LCD is still on. I waited for about two minutes and the LCD turned off by itself.

I then again turned on the camera and everything is back to normal.

I also made reference to the following discussion. (thanks for the contributors)

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53402221

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook