Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 11 (421 Views)

A6000 won't turn on

Hello,

yesterday I shot a couple of photos, turned the camera off but it stayed on. I took the battery out after a minute, popped it back in and the camera wont turn on anymore.

The screen flashes 3 times without or with a SEL lens and if lens is attached it sounds like the lens gets impulses to start but eventually fails.

The batteries are 100% full.

Firmware update was done a month ago and it was fine.

No red light on the bottom

Conneceted to charger or computer yellow charing LED turns on, but computer won't recognize camera.

Holding 30s shutter button doesnt work

Holding Fn button for 5s doesnt work

Left battery out and turned on camera over for 10h but didn't help

Will do same for the next 24h now but I am not in hope since I got a Nex6 without battery for couple of month and no reset or anything on that camera.

Does anyone have experience with that, can Sony help?

Professional
Message 2 of 11 (411 Views)

Re: A6000 won't turn on

Try leaving the battery out for a full 24 hours. When you put the battery back in and turn the camera on, it should prompt you for the date and time.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 11 (244 Views)

Hello, no that didn't work. I had the camera without battery but turned on since Sunday (now it is Wednesday). Putting back the battery it still won't turn on Smiley Sad
Professional
Message 4 of 11 (234 Views)

Contact Support.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 11 (222 Views)

Unfortunately they recommended taking out the battery, memory card and lens and turn on the camera for one minute to introduce a power cycle. That didnt didnt help since my camera was off for 3 days now.

The internal battery should last about 3 month and waiting for that wouldnt necessary solve the issue since the camera was not evaluated further. I also asked support if the internal batter is soldered on the motherboard and they confirmed. So no easy switch of the internal battery either to introduce a quicker reset.

I would need to send it in for repair. Bummer.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 11 (221 Views)

Luckily I payed with a credit card and they have an extended warranty for another year. Lets see if they really pay...

Professional
Message 7 of 11 (211 Views)

kungfusion wrote:

The internal battery should last about 3 month ... 

It can't hold a charge in the camera for more than 24 hours or so, but it can be recharged from the removeable battery at any time.

The three months they're referring to is when it can no longer be recharged.

Tom

¹ The Lens is the Thing
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 11 (203 Views)

Might be, but I am not so sure about that. E.g. my old Nex6 is sitting in the box without battery for a couple of month now and still turns on when I put in the camera without any clock reset or so.

If the internal battery can't be charged by a certain time anymore what about all those cameras which sit in a store? Wouldnt that be a death certificate for older cameras? If you buy a Nex3 now from ebay I dont think it would be dead.

The support guy on the phone didnt mention about it not being able to be charged anymore.

Batteries that sits in my drawer would still work.

Proof me wrong, but what is your source of information?

Professional
Message 9 of 11 (201 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, the three month thing sounded a bit short to me also, but I presume that's what Sony meant when they told you three months.

That is, presuming that's where you heard the three month limit.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
Professional
Message 10 of 11 (185 Views)

The internal battery is to preserve camera settings while you change the removeable, rechareable batteries. If you leave the removeable battery out for 24 hours, that's usually enough time for the internal battery to run out and the camera will forget all the settings and start as new. You left the removeable battery out for three days, which is more than enough time to drain the internal battery. If that didn't solve the problem, it's not a battery problem or a settings problem, and the camera needs to be repaired.

I don't know where the "three months" thing came from, but you first mentioned it in cunjunction with your description of the conversation you had with Sony Support, and I presumed it was something they told you.

¹ The Lens is the Thing

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook