Welcome to the Community!

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 3 (1,314 Views)
Accepted Solution

A7XX setup for triggering off camera flashes?

I'm trying to set up wireless but must be missing something.  I have  an A7RII, HVL-F43M, HLV-F43AM

I've reset both flashes to factory default and am doing nothing with settings other than as stated below.

Since there's no pop up flash, the A7RII must have a flash unit on the shoe - so I've mounted the F43M - and set internal camera flash mode to fill (also tried wireless to no avail).  Airplane mode OFF.

The F43M pops, but doesn't trigger the nearby remote 43AM regarless of orientation.  While on the camera the 43M seems to only have two selections in MODE - flash or no flash - so I just leave it as flash.

The 43AM off camera - MODE has 3 options - flash, flash/wireless CH1, and OFF.  I choose Flash/wireless CH1.  The red sensor light blinks - but it never triggers when I click the shutter and the on camera F43M pops.

I tried setting the A7RII to both fill and wireless - but nothing.  What am I missing?

Message 2 of 3 (1,274 Views)

Re: A7XX setup for triggering off camera flashes?

HI golfgirl2,

When setting up an off camera flash, you'll need to set the 2 falsh units and the camera to Wireless Flash mode. First, set the HVLF43AM (remote flash) to wireless mode. Then, set up the HVL43M (trigger flash) to Wireless mode. Connect your trigger flash to the camera and go to the Menu settings of the camera to change the flash mode of the camera. You will see the LED lights on the flashes blink when a connection has been detected. 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution". Thanks_Mitch

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 3 (1,246 Views)

Re: A7XX setup for triggering off camera flashes?

Thanks - sorry it took a while to come back around to this and actually try it out - but everything tested out perfectly!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook