Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 19 (1,400 Views)

A99ii Overheating

[ Edited ]

I followed the instructions on the A99ii manual.

The camera is overheating at 72° F.

P.396

Notes on continuous movie recording

It requires a lot of power to perform high quality movie recording or continuous shooting.

Therefore, if you continue to shoot, the temperature inside the camera will rise, especially that of the image sensor.

In such cases, the camera will turn off automatically because the surface of the camera is heated to a high temperature that can affect the quality of the images or the internal mechanism of the camera.

The following values are the continuous times from when the camera starts recording until the camera stops recording.
Ambient temperature: 20°C (68°F)

-Continuous recording time for movies (HD): Approx. 29 minutes Continuous recording time for movies (4K): Approx. 29 minutes

Ambient temperature: 30°C (86°F)

-Continuous recording time for movies (HD): Approx. 29 minutes Continuous recording time for movies (4K): Approx. 29 minutes

Ambient temperature: 40°C (104°F)

Continuous recording time for movies (HD): Approx. 29 minutes Continuous recording time for movies (4K): Approx. 29 minutes

HD: XAVC S HD (60p 50M/50p 50M)
4K: XAVC S 4K (Super 35 mm, 60 Mbps)

UPDATE:

in HD: XAVC S HD 60p 50M is works only getting a little warm.

in 4K: XAVC S 4K (Super 35 mm, 60 Mbps) @ 24p it was able to get to 29min but the heat warning light came on about 21 minutes in. 

this was done in my house @ 72°F 

Message 2 of 19 (1,337 Views)

Re: A99ii Overheating

[ Edited ]

Hi Themoran,

Welcome to Sony Community.

The length of time you allow the camera to cool affects the amount of time you can use it after being turned back on. The longer you allow it to cool, the longer it will take before the internal temperature builds up again. If the camera does not have enough time to cool, the camera will turn off again after a very short period. The cooldown time can take up to 10 minutes or longer depending on the camera and environment.

You may also check the firmware version. If the firmware version is not up-to-date, update the firmware of the camera. 

We also recommend checking the additional troubleshooting steps here.

Regards,

Jerome

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 19 (1,305 Views)

I understand what you are saying and thank you for showing some possible solutions. 

Ive read on some other cameras that Sony makes that also shoot 4K like the A7sii and will have to wait until they release 

a Firmware update that will raise the internal temp so I can get longer record times in 4k.

The only 4k 30min lengh shooting I can do in 104°F in my SONY RX10m2 

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 19 (1,228 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm a video producer (and photographer) that has used the A99II for several productions and this camera definately has a problem with overheating. It doesn't matter if it's shooting at 24p or 30p, 4k or 1080. It will overheat and shut down anywhere between 4 and 15 minutes worth of recording when filming in the real world. In sterile 72-degree conditions I have been able to get it to maybe go to 29 minutes once. But real prodcutions rarely happen in perfect conditions.

I reach for the A99II because it has an articulating screen makes it better suited to monitor without having to mount an additional monitor when rigging inside vehicles or other tight spaces... which we do quite a lot of. I also love the LOG and Cine Gamma options that it comes with. But the fact that a professional tool cannot be reliable makes it very frustrating to work with. I know this was a problem with other Sony cameras, and it was addressed with updated firmware which gave an option to increase the heat tolerance. That would be ideal for this camera and I hope a "fix" is fothcoming. 

I currently own a Sony FS7, FS700, A7S, A77II, A99II, RX100M2, RX100M4, all the A-mount Zeiss Primes, all the E-mount Zeiss zooms, and LEA4, LEA3 and many other E and A lenses from Sony and other brands. I'm also a Sony Pro member.

I previously owned the NEX7 (only other camera that overheated as badly as the A99II), A7R, FS100, NEX5U, another A77II, A77, and a few I'm sure I'm forgetting. 

In short, I have an extensive and expensive history with Sony products. I would like to buy employees in my office more A99II's for our web photo and video prodcutions as I feel it's a perfect balance for hybrid shooting with a full-frame sensor. However, I can't do that if the A99II continues to overheat as freqently as it does. Period.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 19 (1,216 Views)

Today was the first hot day I've attempted to use the A99M2 outside. It was a disaster. Camera overheats in minutes. Even taking a couple stills then switching to video mode made it shut down almost immediately. And this was after cooling the camera for 10 minutes in an air conditioned car prior to attempting to use it. Professional work cannot dictate weather conditions. I've put a request into Sony Pro support for an A9 to test. Hopefully it does a better job in professional environments. 

Rookie
Message 6 of 19 (1,124 Views)

I totally agree with you. How can it be possible that the a99ii, that was released months ago and we are still waiting for a necessary FIRMWARE UPDATE because of its OVERHEATING ISSUES WHEN RECORDING IN 4K... The rest of the cameras (a7R, a7S, a9...) had already a firmware update to solve this issue, including the BRAND NEW a9!!!

SONY IF YOU WANT a-MOUNT professionals to keep with your brand, PLEASE give us the desired SUPPORT and listen to us.

I am not asking you to give me more features, I am just asking you to fix this BIG ISSUE. How can you sell me a camera that records in 4K and the camera doesn't let me work because it SHUTS DOWN automatically after 10 minutes of use??

Fix it as soon as possible or I will be selling this camera.

Thanks

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 19 (982 Views)

Still constantly over heating that I can't rely on this out in the field. I hear there might be a recall instead of a firmware update.
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 19 (797 Views)

Update:

I put it the camera in airplane ✈️ mode and it does not heat up nearly as bad and I'm am able to get 30 min continuously. Shooting XAVCS 4K 30p 60
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 19 (793 Views)

Update: when hitting movie the 2nd time the heat light comes on around 10min. I tested at 70°F
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 19 (715 Views)

.When first purchased at the end of February, I used the camera with the exact settings as I do today. All day softball tournaments in March and April shooting 12fps and the a99ii never got hot. Heading into May outdoors warmed up. I sent my a99ii to Precision after Sony advised me to back in June and told them that once ambient temperatures got above 85°f my camera would overheat and shutdown. Precision kept the camera for 21 business days. After taking so long Sony got involved and the camera was sent back next day air. On arrival, I opened the box and the pink repair slip said that they reset everything back to factory settings, cleaned inside and out and did alignment testing. I take my camera out to a travel softball tournament to test it out. Temperatures in the 70's for the first game at 8am, no issues. Didn't shoot again untill 11:00. Temperatures we're low 90's. I shot around 400 clicks over 15 minutes at 12fps. In between action the camera would ne left on and on my monopod. After 10-15 minutes of use the overheating symbol pops up and a few seconds later the overheat shutdown warning comes on. I have my a77ii for back up and finished shooting all day in 90+ degree weather with no issues.

Once back home I contacted Sony and they said I would have to send it back to Precision Camera to have them do a redo. With no choice I shipped it back to them. They received it on July 11th. I was told it would be top priority and would have it back quickly unless parts were needed. After trying to contact Precision by email with no response I talked with Sony. Precision gets in touch with me and says that their top man was speaking directly with Sony and were working on the issue. Great. I thought maybe they found something and they fixed it. After complaining about the time it took the second go around, I received my camera on August 7. You do the math on the length of time. Opening the box I'm hoping the pink slip tells me what was fixed. To my surprise all that was on their was "Thoroughly tested" Camera cleaned. Camera set to factory specs. Lens alignment. The same as the first time but "Thoroughly tested' this time. Took out the camera and attached my lens, cards and battery and took it out for a test drive. Temperatures outside only got to 81°, but after 1 hour and 10 minutes of shooting an outdoor rodeo, the orange warning pops up. 2000 shots at 12fps. I left the camera on and after a few minutes the orange warning went away.

The weather is supposed to be in the low 90's next week and I will be able to test it in actual working environments as before. I will update with results once tested.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook