Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 5 (527 Views)
Accepted Solution

A99ii finder/monitor is not switching properly.

For some reason even though I have finder/monitor set to auto it is not switching when it should. If the viewfinder is on when I take away my eye the monitor should display. This is not happening consistently. I have found that tilting the camera monitor away from facing my body will allow the monitor to display. However, sometimes I have to do this multiple times. On the other hand sometimes it works correctly. There seems to be no pattern for when it works properly and doesn't. I have tried several things including removing and returning eyepiece, soft reset (turning off camera removing battery turning camera on holding shutter button down for 30 seconds, I read somewhere that is how to perform soft reset), using finder/monitor button to turn monitor on or off, putting finder/monitor in manual turning camera off back on and putting finder/monitor setting back to auto. Nothing fixes issues permanently.

Could the sensor under the eyepiece be malfunctioning? I can't get an answer from Sony support.

Is anyone experiencing this issue and have you found a fix or even a hack?

Thanks reading this post.

Regards,

GEGJr

GeGi
Minolta: 700Si, HTsi Plus, 9, 9Ti
Konica-Minolta: 7D, Sony: Mavica, A700, A99v, A99M2, A77M2
Professional
Message 2 of 5 (510 Views)

Re: A99ii finder/monitor is not switching properly.

Problems like this are most typically associated with the eyepiece cup.

Can you confirm that the eye sensor (over the eyelevel viewfinder) is clean and clear of obstructions?

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Expert
Message 3 of 5 (493 Views)

Yes, it is clean. I even removed pad and cleaned viewfinder window. However I have noticed jostling the viewfinder pad lightly seems to have an affect but it could also be that putting my fingers (hand) near the evf activates it or that holding camera so that monitor is horizontal to floor and removing hand is what is causing the monitor to activate. I had a thought too. I have noticed the finder-monitor switching appears to be affected especially in open shade.
GeGi
Professional
Message 4 of 5 (480 Views)

Does it happen with the eyepiece cup removed?

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Expert
Message 5 of 5 (462 Views)

Yes, it was occurring with eyepiece removed. However using a plain micro suede cloth I cleaned the viewfinder and little window above the viewfinder and it os now working. There has to be a way to better protect this component from film build-up.
GeGi

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook