Welcome to the Community!

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 5 (440 Views)

Alpha 6000 Fails to recognize lens

My Alpha 6000 has ceased to recognize the original kit 16-50 lens after 6 months of normal good usage. Apparently, from what I can see on the internet, this happens quite regularly. What is the solution?

Professional
Message 2 of 5 (435 Views)

Re: Alpha 6000 Fails to recognize lens

Try cleaning the contacts on the lens and the camera body. The best way todo that is with a pencil eraser, making sure that the scraps of eraser don't fall inside.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Rookie
Message 3 of 5 (400 Views)

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately the suggestion has not worked. I have cleaned it quite throughly, as far as I can tell, with an eraser, but the message remains the same: cannot recognize lens, please attach it properly. Any other suggestions? As mentioned, it seems to be quite a common problem.
Professional
Message 4 of 5 (395 Views)

Does the lens fit snuggly, or is there some play in the mount?

Does the lens mate squarely with the body, or is it skewed a little?

Does this happen with other lenses, or just the one?

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 5 (182 Views)

Fixed mine. No tools. Easy, but annoying.

I saw the post about the stuck extender being an issue and didn't want to open the lens. It was out of warranty and annoying me, so I figured I had nothing to lose.

1) Added a Tiffen UV protector to the lens - this gave me a "grip"

2) Turned the camera on while holding the UV Protector and "pulled and wiggled" 

3) It extended

4) Subsequently, I am able to turn the power on and off and it extends and recognizes the lens

I think maybe a little grain of sand or dirt got stuck in the ridge around the inner and outer portions of the lens - where it extends. Wiggling it "freed" the inner extension and allows it to work. So far, so good.

Images Here

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook