Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 4 (2,263 Views)
Accepted Solution

Best Menu Settings A6500

I need some advice.

I am not happy with the image sharpness of my A6500 with the Sony 1.8 35mm Lens.  The camera is set for "extra fine" and "large" Image.

When I zoom in to most photos on my computer the image appears to be blurry.   

Can I imporve image sharpness?

Professional
Message 2 of 4 (2,259 Views)

Re: Best Menu Settings A6500

[ Edited ]

The Sony E 35 mm F1.8 OSS (SEL35F18) is sharpest from f/5.6 to f/8. Sharpness drops off uniformly with smaller apertures (numerically larger f-numbers) and at the edges and corners with larger apertures (numerically smaller f-numbers.)

In addition, that lens suffers from some distortion, so if you're using the Lens Comp. for distortion, that will decrease the sharpness in the corners even further.

You should be able to get the sharpest images with that lens using apertures from f/5.6 to f/8 with the Lens Comp. features off.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Professional
Message 3 of 4 (2,255 Views)

It's also possible that the issue you're experiencing is related to the Depth of Field. When the subject (probably some object in or near the center of the image) is in focus, objects either closer or farther way will be out of focus. For instance, with that lens, and a subject distance of 10 feet with an aperture of 1.8, anything closer than 9 feet or farther away that 11 feet will be outside the DoF, and thus be blurry. But if the aperture was f/11 instead, anything from 6.5 feet to 22.5 feet would be inside the DoF, and thus be sharp.

The simplest way to test the sharpness of your lens is to hang a sheet of newsprint on a wall, mount the camera on a tripod and position it such that the entire sheet fills the vierfinder, photograph the newsprint, and compare the sharpness of the text in the center of the image to that of the text on the edges and corners of the image.

This procedure would eliminate any effects the DoF might have as the entire sheet of newsprint would be the same distance from the camera, and so should all bve within the DoF. You can also use this to confirm for yourself at what apertures your lens is sharpest, and the effects of the Lens Comp. feature.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Rookie
Message 4 of 4 (2,245 Views)

Thank you. Very helpful.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook